BREEDING FOR PRODUCTION...EGGS AND OR MEAT.

it is NOT a "sport" it is a CRIME.

It is a sport that is also a crime. It would meet both definitions.

Like I said, for 99.999% of America, and the world, it is history. But the breeds are still here, and they have their place among Cochins, Rocks, and Reds, etc. The vast majority that have them now admire the breed and have no interest in what they used to be used for.

The birds themselves are just chickens.

Like I said, for 99.999% of America, and the world, it is history. But the breeds are still here, and they have their place among Cochins, Rocks, and Reds, etc. The vast majority that have them now admire the breed and have no interest in what they used to be used for.

So true!!

My fathers RIR rooster when I was a kid was a man killer, but he was good with the hens and the chicks. He was one of those roosters that helped to raise chicks. I personally will never have one, I'm not going tomake my kids deal with it. Even if it wasn't genetic I'm sure it could be
learned behavior, the chicks see how dad acts....

Last edited:
So... how 'bout them broodies?

Our hatchery Black Langshan hen went broody, hatched out a sizeable clutch, and has happily accepted the fosters I gave her after losing over half her chicks to crows. We're keeping her cooped up now for most of the day with limited time free-ranging when we can watch, at least until the chicks are larger. I like the crows because they chase away the hawks, but I don't think they need chicken nuggets for breakfast.

One of my Silkie cockerels had begun to nip me when I entered the run. I grabbed him by the legs and carried him around upside down for a while before finally releasing him and he hasn't been a problem since. He gives me plenty of space and respect. I may try the same tactic with this BR, but only once. If it doesn't put him in his place, he's dinner....and he'll be the first bird I'll have ever slaughtered. Not quite the way I was hoping to learn the process, but oh well.

I think it makes it easier to transition to butchering your own birds if the first one is a snarky rooster. Sounds bad but it's the truth. Our first one was a problem like the one you mentioned - pecking us and grabbing skin and twisting. We did have one that was fine in the beginning but then for no reason turned into a full-out fighter that just would not submit to us being the boss and tried to spur us in the face while we were bent over. It was a relief when we ate him and no longer had to mess with him anymore. He was good with his hens, but had no respect for people and we were not going to live with that forever. Very few of our males are able to live together except while they are still cockerels from the same hatch that are growing out. But that doesn't translate into being people-aggressive. They are just territorial when it comes to other male chickens being in their space. We even have two sons from our worst fighter but they did not get their father's temperament or they would have been dinner a long time ago.

This is a common misconception. Gamecocks bred by good old breeders are often the easiest to handle of all of the breeds. What makes a gamecock not just an ordinary cock, is that they will not give up. All male birds want to fight other males. That is what they do. Game cocks are game, because they will go all of the way, where others will quit and run. Not to mention that they have been bred for physical characteristics that makes them able.

I have no interest in the sport, but I do admire the breeds. I have been around a lot, handled a lot, and had a few. They are not what people imply based on perceptions and misrepresentations. They are no more likely to be man fighters than any other breed, and even less likely. These breeds have them to, because they have ignorant people breeding them like any other breed.

Like pitbulls with feathers - the same traits and the same misconceptions.
A fighting dog who wouldn't let a handler, even a stranger, tend its wounds was a dead dog. They were meant to be naturally submissive to people. Unfortunately that very valuable trait has been lost by careless breeding.

Speaking of crimes...I was chased into my own summer-kitchen about 18 months ago by a hefty NN cock. He was around 10 pounds and thought he could lick the world. As I breached the threshold, I tripped on something and went down on one knee and with precision timing, said bird sunk two formidable spurs into my ample behind.

Yes it hurt but mostly, I was offended. I hadn't run from a chicken since I was 8 or 9 years old so I really disappointed myself when I reacted so quickly and dispatched this beautiful bird. Most people I told about it (including Walt) applauded and relayed a similar experience of his own but I really liked the bird and could have dealt with him in a better way....that is a wetter way for OUR operation.

Back
Top Bottom