BREEDING FOR PRODUCTION...EGGS AND OR MEAT.

Hi,
They don't sew up the incision afterwards. Don't they worry the cut will get infected?
Or filled with maggots or something?
Thanks,
Karen

So my capon project just took a major step forward. My caponizing table came yesterday from China via Poco Pollo in Oklahoma. She was kind enough to import it for me, and I'll be getting a large set of operating tools thru her as well. Now if I can just get my White Dorking chicks... my fingers are crossed.

The Chinese clearly have a handle on the art of caponizing, and with this table the operation only takes a few seconds... with some experience I'm sure. The table quickly restrains the chick and then drops it into a box at your feet before the chick knows what's happened. You don't have to tie feet and wings or hang weights. It's much simpler looking than all the descriptions I've read. I'll include a link to the video below.

It's not splitting the atom but those guys make it look deceptively simple. If you have the time and inclination, a visit to one of Poco Pollo's clinics would greatly advance your prospects.

ADDENDUM: I most seriously doubt those young men began their careers using such sophisticated accoutrements.

Last edited:
@gjensen I have a question - harkening back to our discussion of compiling a reasonable breeder ration from what is easily available in feed stores, and that there were a number of options that were ok. (I put everyone on Flock raiser).

You mentioned before recommending Dumor, and considering mixing half Dumor layer and half Dumor chick starter as a good option. (I apologize, I can't manage to find the post where you said this). Well, I happened to get into a discussion with the manager at Tractor Supply when I was getting feed (he was restocking a LOT of Dumor feeds). I pointed out that the Garmebird feed was from 2014. He was chagrined and expressed frustration that his employees didn't always rotate and clear old feed like they had been told (and he tossed it). We got into a longer discussion, and I asked about what he was restocking. Upshot is that they go through Dumor REALLY fast, so it's very fresh (fresher than the Purina Flock Raiser). I'm using their 20% chick starter right now for some cream leg bars (and some smaller aloha NNs). But they also have a 24% starter (which they also go through a lot of).

I'm inclined to use feed that is as fresh as possible, and would like to switch over to Dumor for everyone. Would you recommend mixing layer and 24% (vs. layer and 20%)? That's what I'm inclined to do, but was curious what you ( or anyone else) had to say about Dumor - I'd been meaning to ask...

- Ant Farm

I use the Dumor 24% chick feed for chicks through about 4 months old. Have been using it for several years and have been happy with it, although now that they have taken the meat protein out of it, I'm not so happy. It was the only meat protein feed that I could find and now that is gone as well, so will have to see how things go with it.

I use the Dumor 24% chick feed for chicks through about 4 months old. Have been using it for several years and have been happy with it, although now that they have taken the meat protein out of it, I'm not so happy. It was the only meat protein feed that I could find and now that is gone as well, so will have to see how things go with it.
X2. I use the layer pellets mixed with the chick starter for a general flock ration. They make the chick starter only in crumbles (duh - its for chicks!) but I wish I could get it in pellet form.

Last edited:
I am so happy. Today I picked up a quad of Bourbon Red Turkeys.
yesss.gif
Got a really good price on them too.

I don't often name my birds but since these are my first turkeys...

The Tom will be called... Pappy Van Winkle.
The largest hen will be... Julep.
The Smallest hen will be... Temperance.
The third hen is... To be announced / taking suggestions in line with the only too obvious theme.

They are all yearlings. Big, heavy and beautiful.

We have many trees 100 ft. plus, so I decided to clip their wings since I don't know where they fall on the feral-tame scale.
I was a bit stressed and screwed up the wing clipping so their wings now look like a kindergartner's bangs. (Think Moe from the three stooges).
hu.gif
Oh, well they will molt, and I still think they are beauteous.

I am so happy. Today I picked up a quad of Bourbon Red Turkeys.
yesss.gif
Got a really good price on them too.

I don't often name my birds but since these are my first turkeys...

The Tom will be called... Pappy Van Winkle.
The largest hen will be... Julep.
The Smallest hen will be... Temperance.
The third hen is... To be announced / taking suggestions in line with the only too obvious theme.

They are all yearlings. Big, heavy and beautiful.

We have many trees 100 ft. plus, so I decided to clip their wings since I don't know where they fall on the feral-tame scale.
I was a bit stressed and screwed up the wing clipping so their wings now look like a kindergartner's bangs. (Think Moe from the three stooges).
hu.gif
Oh, well they will molt, and I still think they are beauteous.

How 'bout Carrie, as in Carrie Nation??

Hi,
They don't sew up the incision afterwards. Don't they worry the cut will get infected?
Or filled with maggots or something?
Thanks,
Karen
For at least 2000 years the procedure has not included sutures. The skin should be pulled back during the operation so that when you release it the incision in the skin moves away from the wound, therefore there is no opening thru to the chicken's insides. The procedure is done millions of times in China with no sutures. I'm still waiting to get all of my equipment and the chicks to work on but it seems that the worst part of the experience for the chick is the length of time it takes to perform. The faster it goes, the less stress. Sutures require extra time and extra pain for the chick.

Back
Top Bottom