BREEDING FOR PRODUCTION...EGGS AND OR MEAT.

A better photo of Harley, who absolutely will NOT tolerate me putting him/her down. Poor lonely little chick!

Give him a "blue mom" that is what we call a feather duster mom, a couple of feather dusters (one will probably do for a single) hanging in the brooder so he can get up under in it like a real mom. (the cheap feather dusters here are almost always blue)

Yes, I have one Dark Cornish Rooster BamBam

Crossed with two at the time, now one White Cornish Rock cross pullets:
That rooster would fit nicely in my project program. It just needs to get rid of that wavy comb. But I am not familiar with adult cornish or even cornish at all. Have you weighed him?

That rooster would fit nicely in my project program. It just needs to get rid of that wavy comb. But I am not familiar with adult cornish or even cornish at all. Have you weighed him?
His big comb is why he bombed out as a show prospect. His last weight was 14 pounds. His chicks do not carry his over sized peacomb.

His big comb is why he bombed out as a show prospect. His last weight was 14 pounds. His chicks do not carry his over sized peacomb.
That is one big rooster!!! That is good to know that the offspring does not carry the fan comb.. Nice looking white bird..

Has any one really had an hen accept chicks after a week or less of brooding though?...

Never had a hen gladly accept and become mother to chicks within a week of setting....
yes, last year with my Dorking hen. She spent 2 days in the nest of her choosing before I put her in a nest of my choosing, (still in the same pen,) where she spent one day before moving back to her original nest. Then I moved her to a new pen, and gave her some wooden eggs to sit on, which she did. Two nights later, I started pulling the wooden eggs out, and she started growling at me, but got over it when she realized I was swapping eggs for chicks. A week later, I gave her another batch of chicks to go with the first, and she remained a devoted mother for a full 8 weeks. She is a keeper.
Angela

I guess this is our 'Easter Snow'. I'll just sit here and enjoy some really good coffee while my son heats kid milk and fills the bottles. I still get a few perks for pretending I'm the boss around here.
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom