BREEDING FOR PRODUCTION...EGGS AND OR MEAT.

What is he?
He is a mystery bird..... someone gave him to me they said he was a leghorn.... um no, sorry he is 14 pounds defiantly not a leghorn. I am hoping that he will lend his size to my meat line.... make some good eating boys. I had a suggestion that he might be a white rock??? I don't really know, he is mellow and not people aggressive so that encourages me.

Hello I just found this thread and only read back until Nov but was I'm trying my hand at making a "Toad" line aka Crossing CXC back to Heavy dual birds in an effect to make a self sustaining meat bird line that you can raise rather then consisting having to buy meat birds. I have Cornish Crosses, Dark Cornish chicks coming next month to begin and I also have a couple NN chicks that are about 8-12 wks old as well as plenty of my other big dual breeds (English Orps, Brahmas) to cross out with. After reading about how big and good NN are I'm glad I grabbed a couple and will def add them to my "Toad" line and see how they do. Am so glad to have this thread cause I am as interested in raising meat animals as well as pets and this seems full of information.

Last edited:
Hello I just found this thread and only read back until Nov but was I'm experiencing make a "Toad" line aka Crossing CXC back to Heavy dual birds in an effect to make a self sustaining meat bird line that you can raise rather then consisting having to buy meat birds. I have Cornish Crosses, Dark Cornish chicks coming next month to begin and I also have a couple NN chicks that are about 8-12 wks old as well as plenty of my other big dual breeds (English Orps, Brahmas) to cross out with. After reading about how big and good NN are I'm glad I grabbed a couple and will def add them to my "Toad" line and see how they do. Am so glad to have this thread cause I am as interested in raising meat animals as well as pets and this seems full of information.
Did you. Get your first Toads from Ralphie?

Did you. Get your first Toads from Ralphie?

Nope as I live in Kansas however I am talking and working with Ralph (using his Toad making formula) and the hope is that we will do some swapping of eggs/chicks/juv in the future to help spread out the line and to add new blood and see what works best for everyone to be able to raise Toads.

He's not a White Rock. Probably a smaller CornishX.
I am not overly familiar with the cornishx nor have I ever seen a bird as big as this white roo, at this point in time I know he was born in the early spring, so maybe march? and was not given any special diet so???? I really don't know what he is but he is healthy with no apparent issues that I can tell so I will hatch some eggs from him and my girls and see what we get.

Looks like a hatchery Plymouth rock to me? Could possibly have some leghorn in it. Any cx roosters I've seen that size are much broader/fatter and look like they're going to die not healthy like that.

Looks like a hatchery Plymouth rock to me? Could possibly have some leghorn in it. Any cx roosters I've seen that size are much broader/fatter and look like they're going to die not healthy like that.
I kind of thought he must be some kind of dual purpose but so many of them can come in white so??? I am very excited to see what his babies come out looking like, especially the ones out of the NN

Ralphie's birds are something! Inspiration definitely.
A NN addition will be beneficial IMHO.
Cooler birds in the summer less stress and naked necks I heard need less protein cause they don't put as much into feathers?
I had planned on crossing my NN' s to cx but haven't yet. I hadn't planned on a NN giant cross but am thinking I will. Think I'll put the giant rooster with the NN hens and the NN rooster with the giants. Then mark eggs keep track of chicks and see what/if which swapparoo makes nicer birds.
I'm thinking the cross might make a bigger bone sturdier bird for eventual crossing with cx.
Planning on a Easter day hatch with them.
I don't think the giant cock will squish the NNs, when I crossed him to silkies they survived Lol!
I don't think I've posted this here? If so I can't remember everything lol.
videotogif_2017.04.23_22.17.35.gif

Back
Top Bottom