Breeding Pen Size

Big Tom

Chirping
Nov 17, 2015
Western Pennsylvania
When designing a breeding pen do you still use the 4 square feet per bird or does the square footage need to increase. These pens would be for large breed birds (Barred Rocks, Rhode Island Reds, Australorps). I'm thinking about 48 square feet for 10 hens and a rooster. What do you think?

Is that the total room you want to give them or is it only the coop and you have more room in an attached run? I'm not a believer in magic numbers for space, you can follow the link in my signature to see why. But that 4 sq ft per bird in the coop is usually associated with an additional 10 sq ft per bird in the run. Chickens do not recognize coop space versus run space, they just see space when they need it. A run doesn't do any good if they can't get to it when they need the extra room.

That 4 + 10 are pretty good guidelines for most of us. For some people it is plenty, but occasionally it can get tight. I yours are all adults and already integrated it should be enough, especially if it is s time of the year when they can get outside practically all day every day. If you were integrating or having a broody hen raise chicks it could be pretty tight.

I'd think a 6 x 8 coop plus an 8 x 12 or 8 x 16 run would do quite well for you. A 6 x 8 pen by itself is probably asking for trouble. And if you use it in better weather it doesn't have to be much of a coop, just provide protection from rain and predators. In winter you need to do better where you are.

Is that the total room you want to give them or is it only the coop and you have more room in an attached run? I'm not a believer in magic numbers for space, you can follow the link in my signature to see why. But that 4 sq ft per bird in the coop is usually associated with an additional 10 sq ft per bird in the run. Chickens do not recognize coop space versus run space, they just see space when they need it. A run doesn't do any good if they can't get to it when they need the extra room.

That 4 + 10 are pretty good guidelines for most of us. For some people it is plenty, but occasionally it can get tight. I yours are all adults and already integrated it should be enough, especially if it is s time of the year when they can get outside practically all day every day. If you were integrating or having a broody hen raise chicks it could be pretty tight.

I'd think a 6 x 8 coop plus an 8 x 12 or 8 x 16 run would do quite well for you. A 6 x 8 pen by itself is probably asking for trouble. And if you use it in better weather it doesn't have to be much of a coop, just provide protection from rain and predators. In winter you need to do better where you are.

Thank you.
I read the article you linked to. It was very well written and very informative!

Many breeder pens are 4x8, multiple pens side by side. The reason for the "small" dimension of the pens is they are temporary housing for breeding and you usually only breed trios and quads not entire flocks.

I urge you to choose only the best of the best when breeding. There is no need to breed every bird as you are attempting to improve the flock. That's done by only breeding the best. Narrow it down to a quad, cock and three hens.

Back
Top Bottom