Broody Breed Recommendations

My silkies just turned a year and have been broody 2x since they started laying eggs. My bantam Cochin and Porcelain D’Uccle are also great broody moms. One of my Easter Eggers is on round 3 of being broody and she turned 1 in April. My Buff Orp is currently broody for the first time and mean as a snake. I had a production Red Cross last year go broody also.
Thank you!

I think my Australorps are the broodiest chickens I've ever had. I hatched 3 last summer and all 3 have been broody this summer. One of them is brooding her 2nd batch. :he

Australorps are cold hardy and very easy to tame and handle when they are brooding or raising chicks.
I’m definitely going to read up on them. They’re not anything that I’m familiar with at all, but they sound like they would fit in just fine. Thank you!

Sorry if I’m late but I’d personally recommend a game breed. Mine goes broody often and she’s VERY protective of unfertile eggs. I probably wouldn’t go for a silkie since they’re not that hardy; but I’ve never owned one so I don’t really know. My game hen is either a mix or a Kelso. I'd love to get her fertile eggs.

Asils. Have had asils go broody at six months of age. Usually raise multiple broods a year. Have had them do five. Had one hatch eggs in -12 weather with snow blowing through the cracks of the barn. Had one hatch out chicks that I took and put in a brooder, because I had eggs shipped in. Shipped eggs no good, so I gave her some more and she hatched them, and then hatched another batch in the fall. Must not have hurt her, she is five now and setting on her second batch this year. They live a long time, know of an asil hen that hacthed her own chicks at the age of fourteen. Twenty years old is not unheard of. One of mine beat a skunk into the fetal position for messing with her babies. Her dad killed a 'possum. Have seen video and heard of more than one instance of them driving away or killing hawks. Stories of them killing cobras in their homeland. While they don't like other chickens, they are the calmest and gentlest chicken you can find toward their people. The males are especially laid back. I let one ride in the truck with me every now and then. Even the males are broody at times.
Wow! I had to read up on that one! Probably more bada** than I need, but they certainly sound interesting! Thanks for sharing!

The only thing about silkies I have noticed is that all of mine have never lived past 4 years due to snakes and hawks. Since they're so small its easier for them to get killed:(
I'm sure you know to make sure broodys eat and drink, but I recently had my silkie (SweetPee) pass away because she was so devoted to her eggs she refused to eat and drink. I was on vacation during that time so my grandpa was taking care of the pets or I would have been able to prevent it from happening.:he
How sad. I’ve heard that Silkies would do that. Lucinda did go out on occasion to eat and drink. But it occurred to me that as hot as it has been that I would have to take good and water TO her if she was broody again. Thank you!

I loved owning silkies, but they aren’t very hardy, unfortunately. I have a Black Copper Maran that recently weaned her first clutch, layed for a couple of weeks and is currently sitting on her 2nd batch of eggs!! She is such a good mama and is not aggressive when managing her nesting box (to add clean bedding, candling the eggs, etc) or when handling her chicks.
She sounds perfect! Thank you!

I’m definitely going to read up on them. They’re not anything that I’m familiar with at all, but they sound like they would fit in just fine. Thank you!

I've been keeping the black Australorps in my flock for 15 years. I still have one that is 11 years old and she laid 12 eggs this spring. They are excellent layers when not brooding. ;)

Never had a problem with a game hen asil or otherwise harm itself while nesting. They come off to eat. They also carry off bad eggs. They teach the chicks to roost, unlike silkies, who don't appear to know how to roost. The roosting thing can be a problem. Some of the American Games I have had would try to get chicks to roost when American game chicks were ready to roost, at four weeks they can fly up in a tree and perch all night. Sometimes doesn't work so well for chicks that aren't games, so you need to take that in consideration.

Back
Top Bottom