Broody Hen Thread!

Hey guys I've got another question for you. Thanks for the help and advice earlier! My first two broodies successfully hatched 5 chicks each, and I added a few from a neighbor to my second broody, Clementine. They are now 3weeks old. My question is this. What would happen if I'd give her 2 more newly hatched chicks at this point? Bad idea? It's just that my neighbor is downsizing and quitting breeding lavender orps and she has offered new the last 2 chicks that she hatched. I WANT them but not sure about this at all. My other option would be putting Mrs Jekyll (the third broody that failed her hatch because she could see Clementine's babies) into the dog kennel in the corner of the coop and seeing if she'd take them. She's not broody anymore but she still helps look after Clem's babies during the day. Am i completely crazy? We leave on Wednesday for 6 days so I think possibly I am...lol

While I would normally not recommend it, there are hens that will take new chicks under their wing. Actually, I have two ducklings that are a week younger than the chicks I had in the brooder with them. Those ducklings let the chicks crawl on their backs, and they kept them warm on the cooler nights.
My opinion, is that if you can be around to keep an eye on things, give the chicks to one of the hens late at night. It is worth a shot.

Hi everyone! I'm new to this so just found this thread - need some advice if anyone has any! We have a broody salmon faverolle hen sat on 11 silver laced Wyandotte bantam eggs, she's been so so good sat on the eggs but we're on day 21 today and there's absolutely no sign of hatching. Our mummy hen stood up today for a drink then went back to her eggs but I've read online that if she feels movement underneath her she won't move off the nest for anything. I had a quick look at the eggs while he was off and there was no sign. Has anyone hatched bantam eggs under a broody? I've read that bantams tend to hatch quicker because they're smaller eggs? We're going to leave her till day 25 anyway, thanks in advance!

That's the sticker. I could do it tonight and observe tomorrow, but then we are gone for 5 days. Clementine is a wonderful momma but she already gives her babies a lot of independence. So I would lean towards trying the other hen, in a confined area. I think I better just not do it, tho, what with being gone for the rest of the week. Do you have any experience with putting week old chicks under a broody? That's the only other option and all I've heard is that you are supposed to do it when they are as young as possible.
quote name="MotorcycleChick" url="/t/496101/broody-hen-thread/12930#post_17213201"]While I would normally not recommend it, there are hens that will take new chicks under their wing. Actually, I have two ducklings that are a week younger than the chicks I had in the brooder with them. Those ducklings let the chicks crawl on their backs, and they kept them warm on the cooler nights.
My opinion, is that if you can be around to keep an eye on things, give the chicks to one of the hens late at night. It is worth a shot.[/quote]

Hey guys I've got another question for you. Thanks for the help and advice earlier! My first two broodies successfully hatched 5 chicks each, and I added a few from a neighbor to my second broody, Clementine. They are now 3weeks old. My question is this. What would happen if I'd give her 2 more newly hatched chicks at this point? Bad idea? It's just that my neighbor is downsizing and quitting breeding lavender orps and she has offered new the last 2 chicks that she hatched. I WANT them but not sure about this at all. My other option would be putting Mrs Jekyll (the third broody that failed her hatch because she could see Clementine's babies) into the dog kennel in the corner of the coop and seeing if she'd take them. She's not broody anymore but she still helps look after Clem's babies during the day. Am i completely crazy? We leave on Wednesday for 6 days so I think possibly I am...lol

Hens are like humans in a way-----someone could drop off 2 babies at your door---you might accept them with open arms---most want----with a hen she will peck them---even kill them if she does not want them. A few chicks can be set-up in a heated(low wattage bulb) tote/brooder with enough feed and water to last them for a week with no problem.

Back
Top Bottom