Brown Leghorn or Game hen, I'm confused!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

what i do make you mad i am sorry thanks for the input and yea yea cant wait to get a real answer on this bird
lau.gif

You could try taking a photo of her head that shows her comb clearly. As I said, her tail looks Leghorn-y. Maybe the photo was at a bad angle, and she is a Leghorn <shrug>.

A better head shot would be very helpful.

what i do make you mad i am sorry thanks for the input and yea yea cant wait to get a real answer on this bird
lau.gif

No, you don't make me mad. I meant exactly what I said. I'm no pro at this--yes, I raise a lot of chickens, but I don't care how closely they conform to breed standard as long as they lay lots of pretty eggs for me. I have a lot of different breeds because it amuses me and I sell more eggs when the cartons are filled with all different colors and shades.

There are folks on here who know more about certain breeds of chickens than I will ever know, and they can often tell you breed with 100% accuracy. I was referring to those folks as the professionals, and I hope someone with more breed-specific experience can help you.

That looks like a game hen. They are very broody. I have a few old english game bantams that look like that and I have a few regular size game hens that look like that. I call them Hatch game chickens. They look like wellsummers and brown leghorns usually do. I got a brown leghorn at a sale today and they thought it was a game hen. I usually go if it has white tags on the side and if the cone is floppy if it is a brown leghorn.

There's no chance this could be a Rose Comb Light Brown Leghorn (or mix)? Doing google image searches of LBLs they don't always have bright yellow legs. With my monitor I can't tell what color the hen-in-question's earlobes are.

/I've only had White Leghorns, no light/dark brown, no rose comb

Last edited:
Leghorns also have large white earlobes and different builds. They are rarely broody. That hen is not a leghorn, it's a game.

Back
Top Bottom