Buff Laced Brahma

I absolutly love this variety on this breed. I would love to get some and help establish more of this lovely variety. I could imagine all the emails you get about this breed, I would be very careful to whom these birds go to, a new gorgeous variety in this breed would require a ton of culling and selective breeding.
I have a very strict breeding plan with my Marans and only sell my cull birds to people who I know will make them supper, I only want reputable breeers to work with them.

But man o man would I love to work with these right here!
fl.gif
I wish I could get some sooner rather than later, but if I must wait then so be it...... I'll just sit here and be all grumpy
big_smile.png

Hi Dan,

I am not new to poultry in general but I am new to Backyard Chickens and breeding for type in general. I have an eleven year old daughter that has expressed an interest in breeding for type and maybe showing. She also likes the idea of creating something new or better. For the past two months we have been looking for the right project(s). I have told her that we must limit ourselves to no more than three coops/runs. I just finished one so we are carefully evaluating alternatives. I have also explained, and she now understands, that with some varieties of color such as BBS she can play with a much more diverse gene pool in the same area.

To get to the point, brahmas and particularly the buff and gold laced brahamas are on the shortlist. At eleven beauty is truly in the eye of the beholder as she has a hard time understanding that you created the gold laced to create the buff laced. She really likes the gold laced as much as the buff laced. We have a few questions. A couple of which might not be exactly on topic so forgive me.

1. The big question is what are the characteristics that need to be improved and what do you think needs to be done to improve the type/variety/breed. I know this is incredibly general in nature.

2. What are the egg laying characteristics of the buff and gold laced brahamas. I have heard it is on the low side.

3. I have read one of your posts elsewhere that the buff laced color is one of your favorites so I believe that you intended it to be and end result. Do you intend to use it to create something else or is that even a possibility? I know this is one is a little off topic but it may bear on our decision.

lastly, thanks again for being willing to share your knowledge and experience.

Phil

Would the genetics of the Buff Laced Brahmas allow you to create a Blue Laced Red Brahma? Is the White in the lacing Dominant or Recessive? And also, could one breed the Buff Laced Brahmas to Bantam Brahmas and such to create a bantam version; or would that take as long as it did to create the large from scratch? Sorry for all the questions but these birds are truely fascinating.

Back
Top Bottom