Buff Orpington chicks. White feathers?

Call them and let them know there's been some sort of a mix up. They may have sent u the wrong ones by accident. Give them the opportunity to make good on the mistake. I see a grown headed chick in their ad and that's not what u have.

If I were them I would want to fix the mistake for you since it's their own blunder. Whether the "new guy" messed up or boxes got mixed up I would give them a chance to make it right. No added cost to you. Entirely their fault.

My problem is I've got 32 of these in my coop and no room for other chicks. I have no idea how to care for broilers. Don't they need different feed?

Last edited:
Well, some feed grower feed. Higher concentration of nutrients.

They will be with you for 6-10 weeks and then they are ready for slaughter...depending on the breed maybe a bit longer if it's a slower grpwing breed.Cornish crosses are about 6 weeks.
So...I would call the hatchery and tell them of the mistake asap and ask how they plan to rectify it.
I wouldn't pay shipping on either batch or any money for new birds. This should be on them to fix.
If they don't want to fix it then I would be publicly reporting them for fraud. Suggesting us is usually enough to have them fix the problem.

I would say if they give you a credit back or they credit you for a reorder then you should be able to juggle both sets of birds separately.

I understand. I had an egg incident in august where i paid for a dozen really great blue laced red wyandottes and I received porous eggs, one was cracked before it shipped as there was Brown caked in the cracks and 8 didnt make it. All 8 of those had poop on the shells. 4 were pulled early when no life was found and another 4 got the red ring...poop bacteria. Such a shame. 3 hatched and 1 had a severe leg problem. Too much money spent to have two health chicks to show for it.

I hope this works out for you. Please keep me posted? You can p.m. me and anything I can do to help I will certainly try. :)

Again I'm telling you I'm not sure they are cornish cross, but that what they look like to me... They might be white orpingtons, wich meens a misunderstanding from Townline (whoever that is). But for me they do not look like orpingtons... They look like meaties, anyways, if you feed them broiler food and let them grow huge, you will rnd up with big yummy tender homegrown tasty chickens.... If you can't eat you own birds, then you can consider restricting their food, let them free range, offer low protein food, and they might end up more like normal chickens, and as I've read, heard and seen, the pullets lay huge eggs consistently, and are a great specimen for hatching your own truly dual purpose chicken... Although at the end of the day a lot of them will be roosters, and you have to know what to do with these(either eat them or give them to someone willing to do that for you).... If you do not want to go through that puzzle, you can simply rehome them to someone willing to raise and eat them, and order a brood of layers from trusted hatcheries, suck as MurrayMc Murray, TSC and many others...
If you do consider keeping the females for layong but don't know where to start, here are a couple useful links:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/917933/10-cornish-x-eggs-in-the-incubator
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/917933/10-cornish-x-eggs-in-the-incubator

Back
Top Bottom