Buff Orpington genders? Update with behavior on page 3

also, does any one have roo pictures of the BOs around 2 mos old? does their tail look different as well?

Here is a photo of Stumpy, when he was five weeks old. RIP, Stumpy, he turned into a mean one!:

stumpy-5wk.jpg

I never noticed, but you can see his sickle feathers already on his neck.

In comparison, here is one of his sisters, also five weeks:

buff-5wk.jpg

just look at that comb at 5 weeks! wow!!! mine don't have combs that big... hmmmm

I don't know if this will help or not. My neighbor and I were concerned one of her sexed pullets was actually a cockerel due to early comb and waddle development. I posted pics in this thread when it was 7 weeks old. She has two Buff Orpingtons.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=165547

The suspecious one hasn't developed too significantly since then, and it is 18 weeks on Monday. No crowing. I believe now it is a pullet, but we are waiting for egg confirmation. So I would say you might have 2 pullets. The difference in my neighbor's 2 buffs was about the same as yours and now they look like twins.

Last edited:
I guess the consensus is that its too early to tell LOL! I guess Big Bird will continue to stay until he crows or she lays an egg! Its too bad though because Big Bird was my favorite and I've been trying to stay low key with him/her because I don't want to get further attached if he/she needs to move on to another home.
sad.png
But this is one of the sweetest chicks. I should just love him/her up anyways... right?

You really think so Deanne? I would be thrilled! I will make room for the 5th chicken though
smile.png
I want to keep them all LOL!
smile.png
I think I will expand a little off the side of the coop!

well... I know most of you all said pullet... But, I am beginning to wonder... this was THE sweetest one of the bunch... now however he won't come to me AT ALL and I can't even catch him if I try. I can get everyone else into the coop except for him and he will ONLY go in on his own terms. and I can't be anywhere near the door or he won't go in!!! he's been big trouble since we can't catch him and he won't come to us anymore
sad.png
I'm really sad since this was the sweetest chick. and he's walking awfully roosterish....

so based on this, are you all still thinking pullet or roo now?

Back
Top Bottom