*Buff Orpington Thread!*

Wanted to give an update. I was so worried about my tiny BO chick (Cupcake), but she's (hopefully a she) catching up in size finally. She's still the smallest, but doesn't get pushed around lol. Here's her pics from about a week old and today at almost 7 weeks.

Wanted to give an update. I was so worried about my tiny BO chick (Cupcake), but she's (hopefully a she) catching up in size finally. She's still the smallest, but doesn't get pushed around lol. Here's her pics from about a week old and today at almost 7 weeks.

Awww.... what a sweet little girl. Cupcake is the perfect name for her. Sometimes the smaller chicks have double the personality.

I have a 'cupcake' in our flock of Buffs, also. She was about the size of your little girl and from the start that is what we called her, Little Girl. Little Girl became Chiquita and we always made sure she got her fair share of treats when they were handed out. Chiquita is still petite in comparison with the other hens but like your Cupcake, she doesn't let the others push her around. In fact she seems to be the favorite of one of our roosters. She's just a sweet little girl that likes to follow me around looking for treats and usually getting them too.

Quick question. On the average how old are buff Roos when they start to crow? Mine are 8 weeks old this weekend and so far, nary a cock a doodle do out of them. I keep yelling at them to "CROW FERGAWDSAKE!" and they just croon a little and peck my toes in response. They are still sweet little boys so I know the hormones haven't kicked in yet.

Are Buff boys late bloomers or do I just have the strong silent type?

I had only one weakness until we got her and that was cupcakes so that had to be her name. You're so right on double the personality Peanutsmomma! She's the most energetic and friendliest out of all 6 and loves to follow me everywhere.

I have a 'cupcake' in our flock of Buffs, also. She was about the size of your little girl and from the start that is what we called her, Little Girl. Little Girl became Chiquita and we always made sure she got her fair share of treats when they were handed out. Chiquita is still petite in comparison with the other hens but like your Cupcake, she doesn't let the others push her around. In fact she seems to be the favorite of one of our roosters. She's just a sweet little girl that likes to follow me around looking for treats and usually getting them too.

Quick question. On the average how old are buff Roos when they start to crow? Mine are 8 weeks old this weekend and so far, nary a cock a doodle do out of them. I keep yelling at them to "CROW FERGAWDSAKE!" and they just croon a little and peck my toes in response. They are still sweet little boys so I know the hormones haven't kicked in yet.

I had a cat that I called Ms Little. Some Argentinian roomies named her "chikadita which they said meant "VERY" little girl. They explained thusly: Chica..Girl, Chiquita...little girl, Chicadita...Very little girl. That was my first lesson in Spanish

We have a little girl cat like that also. She was the runt of the litter, so tiny when we adopted her and her brother. We named her June since they were born sometime in June and it didn't take long before I started calling her 'June Bug' because of her size. Now three years old she only weighs maybe 5 pounds but like diamonds and dynamite, big things come in small packages. There is no stopping this little girl from being a big cat in a small package.

I think the same thing is going to happen with Chiquita.

I think it differs from rooster to rooster honestly. Our Buff roo crowed at 7 weeks and then decided he would be quiet until 10 weeks and then he never looked back. Our Chocolate Orp roo didn't start crowing until he was around 8 months old. We actually thought he was a pullet for a while.

Early this morning at 12:18 AM, we lost our beloved Peanut. She was only 13 months old and up until a few days ago had always been the picture of health. We suspect internal laying problems but will have the cause of death confirmed with a necropsy. We have only been keeping chickens a little over a year and she was one of our original Buffs. I am so grateful to her for everything she taught us and how much love she gave us everyday. We could not have asked for a more precious chicken.

R.I.P. my sweet Peanut. We will miss you terribly baby girl and even though you are no longer with us, I will always be Peanut's Momma.

Peanut at 2 weeks

Back
Top Bottom