*Buff Orpington Thread!*

Hi neighbor :frow I'm from the Whitewater area.  If you choose buffs you will not be disappointed.  I have my young nieces and nephews over and they love to hang out with my flock. 

I would recommend Abendroth in Waterloo or Merton Feed Mill.  Merton is really good, but I've seen better sexing done at Abendroth.  And so far all my buffs from there have done really well health wise. 

Awesome, thanks @BayBay Peepers Went to Merton Feed today only because it's closer to us. I should be coming home tomorrow with 4 females! They said it's a 90% accuracy so I'm hopeful. About what age do they start showing sex?

What do you do with your old hen? I have to that I got two years ago and they were 1 1/2 then and now they do not lay much .i tried to give them to the neighbor and they just would not stay with her and keep coming home to me I just do not want to kill them and even if I did not sure the meat would be any good. I picked up five new babies so I'm running out of room. So I'm asking what do I do ?

Before I got them they were kept in the back of a truck with almost no room and lots of chicken and they were very picked on.they now know love and have had a lot of fruit and veggies from my compost and are so friendly took to years for that to happen.

What do you do with your old hen? I have to that I got two years ago and they were 1 1/2 then and now they do not lay much .i tried to give them to the neighbor and they just would not stay with her and keep coming home to me I just do not want to kill them and even if I did not sure the meat would be any good. I picked up five new babies so I'm running out of room. So I'm asking what do I do ?
My plan for my chickens after they stop laying is to keep them around to teach my new chickens how to be chickens ;).

If they are friendly, cuddly, cute, and you enjoy them, keep them as pets! Dogs and cats don't lay eggs but we keep them around XD

hugs.gif

So sorry for your loss.

Thank you, holm25 and BrandiG for your condolences. Peanut was so special. Her unexpected death has hit me very hard. I sent her off to Auburn University for a necropsy and I am waiting on the results. I am pretty sure it was EYP as she had all of the symptoms. She was always such a good layer and then about 2 months ago I noticed her laying started slowing way down and since I hadn't changed her diet or routine I should have known something was up. On the off chance it was not EYP I hope that I can learn from her death so that it won't be in vain.

Why I love Buff Orpington's...
2764.png
1f423.png

This is Lucille (Lucie for short)

She is 3 weeks old today and my only BO in the flock. She sure stands out!! She is by far the sweetest, smartest, and most loving of my girls.

I brought home my 'ladies' today! The feed store says there is a 90% accuracy, so I'm using quotes until I know for sure! Here is one, getting used to my work desk! They are all sleeping peacefully now in the brooder!

Back
Top Bottom