*Buff Orpington Thread!*

What do you do with your old hen? I have to that I got two years ago and they were 1 1/2 then and now they do not lay much .i tried to give them to the neighbor and they just would not stay with her and keep coming home to me I just do not want to kill them and even if I did not sure the meat would be any good. I picked up five new babies so I'm running out of room. So I'm asking what do I do ?
She is a stewing hen and if cooked slowly with liquid she would make wonderful broth, chicken dumplings etc. it is what farmers have done since chickens and peeps have gotten together. They rarely had the room or money to keep hens after they stopped laying. Plus they (the chickens) were providing sustenance to the farmer. Just my two cents on the issue. It is what my family always did, it is what I would do, thanking her for providing us with food. Nothing wrong with connecting with your food, you gave her a good life! It is ok to grieve a little too, but to just let her grow old and die to be tossed into the trash or buried is a waste of a lovely food source,

Awesome, thanks @BayBay Peepers Went to Merton Feed today only because it's closer to us. I should be coming home tomorrow with 4 females! They said it's a 90% accuracy so I'm hopeful. About what age do they start showing sex?

There is a way to check right away (I've never tried). Something to do with their little wing feathers. Beyond that there's a good chance you'll know if you have a rooster in the mix by 8 weeks or so. Some I've noticed earlier, some later, but there are some really good eyes on this sight that will gladly help sex chicks with a few pictures. You'll have to show us pictures when you get them :)

There is a way to check right away (I've never tried). Something to do with their little wing feathers. Beyond that there's a good chance you'll know if you have a rooster in the mix by 8 weeks or so. Some I've noticed earlier, some later, but there are some really good eyes on this sight that will gladly help sex chicks with a few pictures. You'll have to show us pictures when you get them :)
Wing feather sexing is not accurate unless the chick is the result of a specifically selected cross between a fast feathering male breed and slow feathering female breed - resulting in sex linked chicks inheriting the feathering rate of the opposite sexed parent.

Buffs are great.they are the only thing in my flock that goes broody

Same here. Spring and summer are constant broody times here haha
smile.png
and they make fantastic mothers.

Why I love Buff Orpington's...
2764.png
1f423.png

This is Lucille (Lucie for short)

She is 3 weeks old today and my only BO in the flock. She sure stands out!! She is by far the sweetest, smartest, and most loving of my girls.

I brought home my 'ladies' today! The feed store says there is a 90% accuracy, so I'm using quotes until I know for sure! Here is one, getting used to my work desk! They are all sleeping peacefully now in the brooder!

Thanks for sharing the Buff cuteness!!!!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom