*Buff Orpington Thread!*

There are at least 3 other roos crowing and I can only distinguish two of them. He is getting pointed, gold hackles and his tail is starting to get longer and more of a flair. His feathers and tail look more like the larger roo than our hens. Our hens have the small rounded tail feathers.

My poor baby girl hurt her leg today. Hopefully it's just a sprain. Should know for sure by morning...
sad.png
Oh no! Keep us posted.
I've found with sprains if you keep them less active they heal fairly well. A wire dog kennel set up in the run works good. Keeps them with the flock and allows them to safely lay down/rest while healing. I kenneled one of mine for a sprain and the whole flock hung out with her most of the day, even took dust baths right next to the cage. Let her out at night so she could roost with the others, but the limited activity helps.

Last edited:
We brought her in the house last night and gave her some scrambled eggs lol. This morning she is right as rain and already back out with the other chickens.
smile.png

Glad to hear it!
They can do some goofy things for sure.

I have a Barred Rock right now with tapes toes
roll.png
I saw this happen, she was stepping up onto the boardwalk I have in front of the coop and she bumped one of her toes backwards on the edge of the board. I think it's just pulled/sprained it but it was just hanging a bit limp and I could see she was hurting. This was right before roosting, so I let her sleep she roosted all night fine. Checked in the morning, she still limping the foot not swollen though, so I taped her up. She is out there digging around. I may need to cage her, but she is top girl and stubborn, so she will most likely pitch a fit. I'll give her a few days and see what happens.

Glad to hear it!
They can do some goofy things for sure.

I have a Barred Rock right now with tapes toes:rolleyes:   I saw this happen, she was stepping up onto the boardwalk I have in front of the coop and she bumped one of her toes backwards on the edge of the board. I think it's just pulled/sprained it but it was just hanging a bit limp and I could see she was hurting.  This was right before roosting, so I let her sleep she roosted all night fine. Checked in the morning, she still limping the foot not swollen though, so I taped her up. She is out there digging around. I may need to cage her, but she is top girl and stubborn, so she will most likely pitch a fit. I'll give her a few days and see what happens.

Good luck. I know about the top girl thing for sure. Our leghorn is having some laying issues. Had to bring her in and crate her but she is having an all time fit.

Wondering if anyone out there has had a chicken like this: We got 4 buffs in early March, they are all doing great, but one of them hasn't developed her comb and wattle at all. Until recently they were pale pink, but now have turned bright red like her sisters. The other 3 have beautiful big sized combs and wattles. They are all now 6 months old and I have never had a chicken this late in developing. Has anyone else ever had a hen that didn't develop her "stuff"? Maybe she's just a slow developer?
hmm.png
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Wondering if anyone out there has had a chicken like this: We got 4 buffs in early March, they are all doing great, but one of them hasn't developed her comb and wattle at all. Until recently they were pale pink, but now have turned bright red like her sisters. The other 3 have beautiful big sized combs and wattles. They are all now 6 months old and I have never had a chicken this late in developing.  Has anyone else ever had a hen that didn't develop her "stuff"? Maybe she's just a slow developer? :/  Any thoughts would be appreciated.
A picture would help determine if she's actually a buff Orpington. I have a buff chantecler that is similar to an Orpington, but the combs are a pea comb and the legs are yellow. Some Orpingtons are slower to develop, but most should start laying by 6 months.

Everything about her is exactly the same as the others...size, coloring of feathers, color of her legs, all of that. Just the comb and wattles are different. I can't attach a picture at the moment, or I would. :)

Back
Top Bottom