Building away - adventures in a way too big chicken tractor

Running my hand up and down it I don't get any splinters, it's just not perfectly smooth. How far apart would you space cleats at a 20° incline?
Did you actually measure that angle?
Looks steeper to me, closer to 40 than 20.
Anyway, this was my recommendation:
Might want to put some cleats on that ramp, 1/2" high at 4" spacing.

coop looks nice!

Hopefully those wheels work out for you, I’m kinda doubtful on those particular trailer lift wheels due to diameter+width vs the weight of your tractor+ grass terrain. I would definitely trim off those protruding hardware stubs as they can potentially cause injuries to a chicken running past them.

My bunny tractor is smaller/lighter and we had to use 10”pneumatic hand truck wheels to go through grass and it’s still not exactly the smoothest wheel choice. If I made another tractor it’s likely going on a 4wheeled trailer/cart base and stays elevated or I’m using larger diameter bicycle tires.

If those wheels end up not functioning well after time, I’d suggest the simple “lever” style wheels a lot of people put on their coop tractors - just a larger wheel on a solid bar that pivots and lifts the structure.

the suggested rungs on the ramp is a good easy addition, my ramp is a 2x12 set at roughly 20-30 degree angle and I’ve definitely seen some feet slide on it between the rungs spaced 6” apart. I would also consider adding a rib/gusset underneath the length to keep it from sagging over time since it’s so thin - like a 2x2 perhaps.

I never saw an answer to your previous question about the roof overhang - I think 3” is too shallow for ideal coverage on that door. My guess is water will run down the side and puddle inside the door.

Back
Top Bottom