Building away - adventures in a way too big chicken tractor

One thing I forgot to share earlier. I love how this looks from the front with both doors in place.

60920110816__20FF57AC-521F-4A2B-B58B-F2C0521F1C60.jpeg

T
Another picture heavy, large update on coop construction. Rain has been slowing us down quite a bit, but we should be able to finish up this week.

We got the coop fully enclosed except for the opening for the popdoor. I decided to have some ventilation above the door so it's open all the way to the top. The latches and hinges are all working great on the full access door and the egg access panel.
View attachment 2101609

We also got the blue part of the roof painted, the human door assembled, and the popdoor frame. You can also see two trailer jacks attached at the front of the coop. If the ground is really hard they'll roll just fine. Tonight we managed to move it pretty easily the full length of the coop with some strips of leftover plywood under the wheels. Adding handles and one person can probably move it with the wood.
View attachment 2101620

This weekend we were able to finally finish enclosing the coop and give the chickens some enclosed time. It's 1/2" hardware cloth all around. My wife was a trooper and attached most of the wire over the last three weekends.
View attachment 2101605

Attaching the popdoor frame went fairly smoothly. The door got cut and painted to slide inside it. There's still a question about the best way to raise/lower it and whether or not it needs a locking mechanism.

View attachment 2101629

The front door got attached and because everything was enclosed the chicks got to enjoy the run for most of a sunny, warm afternoon.
View attachment 2101646

Yesterday I got the roof brace attached and a first coat of sealer on the inside of the coop. We're going with a silicone, elastomeric roof coating for both the roof and the floor of the coop. There was enough in a gallon for two solid coats on both. I'm debating a third coat on the roof but haven't decided yet.
View attachment 2101631

The second coat of roof sealant went onto the coop floor and the roof of the coop this morning, and I took a break in the afternoon to finish painting the popdoor and put it in place. I'm really happy with the way things are coming together.
View attachment 2101647

The roof sealant should be cured tomorrow and if there's a break in the rain we'll get it attached to the top of the coop. The chicks also moved from the tub inside to the tub on our porch to avoid any fumes from the roof drying inside overnight. They've done great for the past three nights out there and I'm thinking we'll just move them to the coop this weekend - they've got a ceramic heatbulb on the porch right now and it will probably go to the coop with them.

What's left:
  • Attaching the roof - hopefully tomorrow.
  • Attaching the ramp - hopefully tomorrow.
  • PVC feeders - planning to have one that's open in the coop and another that opens down below in the shaded/rain protected area. Will probably tackle this one night later this week or over the weekend.
  • Build the nipple waterer. I've got the bucket and nipples, just need to put it together (probably with the feeders).
  • Working out the pop door open/close mechanism. It slides up and down really well in the slot between the exterior frame and an interior frame on the opening. I'll probably add some weight to the door as well, but because it's in the entirely enclosed coop I wasn't too worried about locking it.
What am I leaving out?
Does the door need a lock?

My chicks will be five weeks old this weekend, are mostly feathered, and lows are right now around 50° - they're doing well in a tub with a ceramic bulb. I'm thinking the'll be ok in a smaller box in the coop with some heat.
The wheels are just genius! My son and I are planning to build a tractor soon and were puzzling about how to attach wheels without leaving a gap under the base. This seems to solve the problem! Let us know what you think of the wheels after you've moved it around a few times.

Let us know what you think of the wheels after you've moved it around a few times.

These are cheap harbor freight trailer jacks. They were super easy to put on and raise/lower the coop really well. In hindsight I'd have bought the double wheel one for a little more money to hopefully make it easier to roll on the grass. Time will tell both how well the hold up and how they move. I'll keep you updated.

Last edited:
These are cheep harbor freight trailer jacks. They were super easy to put on and raise/lower the coop really well. In hindsight I'd have bought the double wheel one for a little more money to hopefully make it easier to roll on the grass. Time will tell both how well the hold up and how they move. I'll keep you updated.
Thanks, that’s very helpful!

Yesterday got the ability to open and close the coop door, a set of pvc feeders, and the ramp to the coop in place. Also put a third coat of roof sealer on the roof. All that’s left is mounting the roof probably on Saturday mornin

CDB10A59-0F14-4895-85D4-4010BB6C9F68.jpeg

In a chicken update they’re doing great with no heat and just the top of the tub mostly closed off (wood on top of the hardware cloth). The bunch up at night nicely.

BF80A153-03CF-4CB7-BBFE-79E383170D71.jpeg

Today is the day for the roof and hopefully moving the chickens into the coop. Plan is to let them enjoy the run this afternoon and then pen them up for three days.

No roosts yet, just going to have the tub they’ve been using turned on its side for familiarity. Also going to use this time to teach them to use the pvc feeders and nipple waterer.

We got all of the coop finished! The roof is attached, hinged trim to block blowing rain is in place, and a hatch got added to the window over the door.

B8DA6918-2C73-4D9B-896C-D712AFE589C1.jpeg

Right now there’s a small roost in the coop, a bin of sand for dust bathing, a 5 gallon nipple waterer, and six chickens. Eventually the dust bath and water will move outside but while the chicks are learning the coop they’ve got all the amenities.

I’ve been debating cleats on the ramp. It’s a cedar fence picket (not smooth) and goes up about two feet over a four foot run. Think it needs them?

What a great project for you and your son! Enjoy the time together because before long he will be having babies of their own like both my boys! It seems like yesterday when my sons and I did a project in the yard together but it's been 18 years already. Time flies!

Back
Top Bottom