Buildng our first Chicken coop.

I love the chicken art! And the hardware cloth! :) The windows are good, should help keep them cool. Can we have some pics of the clean out door? Since you live in Florida, I'm guessing you will want to leave it open during the day to help cool down the coop (especially with a hot metal roof) - maybe a drop-down netting cover to keep the girls in? You could use window screen, just roll it down and open the door for a breeze? You could glue some magnets at the bottom to keep it from becoming a chicken flap.
I know it's more work (
barnie.gif
) but I would add some more ventilation at the top of the building, as close as you can get it to the roof, since 'heat rises' and ventilation up their can pull the hot and humid air out of the coop. It will help pull smells out of the coop as well.

Very nice! :)

Ooh, also, what breeds are you getting? And what are the dimensions? (coops excite me)
I was told they were Barred Rock but someone told me that my hen could be a Maran because of her white legs. The other one turned out to be a Roo. Lol I will be swaping him in a week. The guy is giving me a hen.

Coop is just about finished. Tomorrow We will paint the wood and add the wire. So happy for my chicks.
1f413.png
1f413.png

Looks great. I would personally eliminate the elevated egg box. No reason for two nesting boxes as one can serve five chickens by itself, and you don't want one to be the same height as the roost as earlier mentioned. Is that the entire run, or do you plan on free ranging. I only ask because 10 feet of square feet of run is suggested per chick.

I would have recommended a bigger building but the OP seemed pretty sure they would only have 2 birds and I've seen lots of coops that size with 2 chickens that seem to do fine.

I would have recommended a bigger building but the OP seemed pretty sure they would only have 2 birds and I've seen lots of coops that size with 2 chickens that seem to do fine.
Looking again.....they might be able to jump down from the shorter cross roost.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom