Bumblefoot

I don't see an obvious bumble if they are having that much problem walking you definitely should see a huge bumble
Newbie here. I'll go ahead and let you know that I have not had a chance to sift through all the threads and replies about bumble foot. I just need someone who may have experienced this to let me know what you think. Is this bumble foot? Pekin girl started having trouble walking two days ago, legs were crumbling under her. Yesterday she could put weight on one of her legs but not the other. Today she is walking with a limp. What do you think?

Hmm I don't see one either? Maybe her legs are feeling weak for some reason ?

Not sure if heat would have anything to do with it, but it has been very hot here, perhaps she is lower on energy or needs a vitamin boost?

Hope she improves and gets back to herself!

I know this thread is a little old, but I wanted to share something I did for suspected bumblefoot in my hen. I was reluctant to try surgery because my hen didn't let me pick her up. I had read that Listerine was originally created as a disinfectant for surgical tools, including against staph,and that it could be used for first aid. I grabbed the hen one night from her roost and applied a cotton pad soaked with Listerine, rubbing gently. Then I sprayed her feet with Veterycin. I've done this for a couple weeks and tonight the scab on one foot loosened almost completely. With my husband's help, we cut the last little tag with a scalpel. There was hardly any blood and there didn't seem to be much infection. I didn't squeeze it, so I could be wrong, but she was never limping and there wasn't much swelling beforehand. We packed it with antibiotic gel and wrapped it. Maybe tomorrow I'll soak it in Epsom salts and try to squeeze a little, but I'd love to have found something that killed the infection easily! She does have another scab on her other foot, so I'll keep at it. I couldn't find any posts anywhere online where anyone had tried this. Oh, and she went fro not letting me hold her to actually closing her eyes and settling down when I held her and cleaned her feet!

@ddj712

Thanks, this is how we build the body of knowledge here. What I share, I have learned from BYC and my flock and occasionally a vet (I spend much more time with the former two than the latter, and am very grateful for what vets have taught me).

Listerine. How about that!? I think we would all very much like to avoid surgery if at all possible as long as the problem is treated properly.

Hi, been reading on this bumblefoot issue. I have a hen that had this huge tumor like thing with the scab, we removed it, and out popped this black/greenish hard chunk. Put her on penicillin, vet thought it was a good idea. The bump is coming back. Someone told me it could be an encapsulated cyst. Anyone have advice? thought the picture uploaded, tried 3 times, but I'm not seeing it, very new to this stuff so bare with me. The thing that came out was rock hard and about the size of a grape.

That sounds like a bad case of BumbleFoot for sure. You should soak it and administer injectable penicillin

The recent procedure I did on my chicken went very smooth. I pulled out a plug of infection with a pair of tweezers. Pulled out real easy. I've done them before and never really found a "plug" of infection; just removed the scab and put triple antibiotic ointment on it and it was fine.

I bought a turkey hen with a huge lump on her head. They assured me it was nothing. Anyway she had it for several years and then suddenly it fell off. I saw the woman who sold her to me and she said it was a bumble from rubbing her head against the cage bars. Mystery solved.
I'm so glad now she is a free range turkey with lots of babies.

I've been treating my hen for bumblefoot for about 2 weeks now & her sore is looking a lot better- I think the new tissue looks pink & healthy. She still has a fair amount of redness & swelling & warmth in the foot. I never have gotten a core/seed (term?) out of her foot like I did on her other foot. Do I need to keep digging? Or just keep doing what I'm doing? I've been doing Epsom baths every other day & changing her dressing. Using vetricyn & antibiotic cream. Seems to be healing except for the continued redness. Thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom