Bunny genetics HELP

chkncrazy

Songster
7 Years
Apr 23, 2017
Connecticut
Hi guys, I want to thank you in advance. I bought a fawn female rabbit, the mother was a New Zealand broken colors, the father was a chocolate mini rex, but on the larger side, I really wanted regular standard Rex. I'm hoping the one I got woke up longer and get her mother's genetics, I use to breed my female silver fox to a 6 lb male and The Offspring always took the mother's genetics and became large I'm hoping the same happens in this situation as I also breed for Meat, I'm not too too worried as she is 7 weeks and weighs 2.8 lb haha what do you guys think will happen? Also apart from this I started feeding my rabbits Blue Seal show Hutch 17 they are extruded little ball like feed... it's get good for them... Any who heres my post THANK YOUUUUU ALLLLLLL
ALDO

Here she is

Attachments

• 20180913_122045.jpg
    20180913_122045.jpg
    322.9 KB · Views: 10
The person who sold you that rabbit was not entirely truthful about her parentage. She appears to have a Rex coat, and as the gene for the Rex coat does not exist in the New Zealand breed, you cannot get Rex-coated babies from a purebred New Zealand. Since the mother was apparently a mixed-breed, there is no telling what kind of genes could get passed on to her offspring.

If you wanted a standard rex why did you not purchase one? I am just curious. Were none available in your area? The rabbit you purchased is very cute by the way.
Lol you would think in Ct I could.find anything. ......I searched and searched and couldn't find anything in Ct .....the closest I found was in Long Island and i wasn't gonna take a ferry for a 30$ rabbit.

She is VERY adorable, I'm just hoping she falls somewhere in between.

The person who sold you that rabbit was not entirely truthful about her parentage. She appears to have a Rex coat, and as the gene for the Rex coat does not exist in the New Zealand breed, you cannot get Rex-coated babies from a purebred New Zealand. Since the mother was apparently a mixed-breed, there is no telling what kind of genes could get passed on to her offspring.

The father was a mini rex and the mom was a new Zealand. .. I saw the parents.... I just hope her size is somewhere in between....

Lol you would think in Ct I could.find anything. ......I searched and searched and couldn't find anything in Ct .....the closest I found was in Long Island and i wasn't gonna take a ferry for a 30$ rabbit.

She is VERY adorable, I'm just hoping she falls somewhere in between.
I probably wouldn't travel that far either. Thanks for answering. I was just really curious. Mini rex rabbit can grow to be around 6lbs so hopefully yours will grow up to be a big girl.

I probably wouldn't travel that far either. Thanks for answering. I was just really curious. Mini rex rabbit can grow to be around 6lbs so hopefully yours will grow up to be a big girl.

I hope so, only cause i dont want to breed her to a mini buck..... maybe the people i got her from have another half breed male from another mother. .... but she's not even 2 months and already is almost 3 lbs so that's promising to me. She's so nice and runs up to greet me and loves getting picked up etc.

Back
Top Bottom