Button Quail Baby Possibly blind in 1 Eye?

kelseygirl707

Dances with Chickens
10 Years
Mar 3, 2009
Lakeport, Ca.
So I have 11 Button Babies, they are about 12 days old now, and one of them has an eye that is a little sunken in, and has a red spot towards the bottom of the eye ball (I noticed it around 2 days old). It's gaining wait and keeping up with the others, but I think it may be blind the the weird eye, as it is fairly easy to catch, compared to the others, I think it doesn't see me comin, LOL. My hubby thinks it has a hematoma, has anybody ever seen this in a Button quail before? And is it hereditary, or could it have been pecked in the eye? Just curious if this is one to leave out of the breeding pool.

Here are some pics, if you look hard you can see the red spot at the bottom of the eye, no thats not from the camera.

24137_blind.jpg

24137_blind_2.jpg

Last edited:
Awww... cutie! It looks like maybe it got pecked. I have one of those pen-lights that has a red laser pointer on it. In a dark room, try shining one of those on the floor around the baby, and see if it registers it. Most quail will try to peck the red light. It's possible the one eye got damaged, but it can see ok with the other eye.
hugs.gif

I seen that in a dog and a human before. Though if that bird has been like that since soon after hatching i'd say that it was pecked by a sibling accidentlaly. The red SHOULD eventually go away as it's blood (yep a hematoma). Basically a black eye... but the thing is that it could have been pecked so badly at such a young age that its not going to heal properly. It looks to me like it can see... as the blood looks below the actual visual part but can't say for sure.

He may still be able to see, I just noticed that he doesn't put up much of a fight when I'm trying to catch him, the otheres will squirm their way out of my hand, where as he/she is fairly easy to catch and is content sitting in my hand, I assumed he couldn't see me coming. Maybe I just found the worlds only non-flighty Button Quail, LOL.

So do you think it's ok to eventually put he/she in the breeding cages, or should he become someones vaccume at the bottom of their aviary?

Is the other eye normal.. I know there is a new variety of button quail that has red eyes and the bird still has color. But the color is a bit lighter than normal color. Like the red breast will be bright orange instead.. I know some one who breeds the Pink Eyed Dilute ones. Maybe you should send him an email..

I'll PM you his information..

Last edited:
Quote:
Thanks Sunny,
Yes the other Eye looks normal, I went ahead and emailed Don, We'll see what he says, but I'm really thinking he/She was just pecked.

Here is the normal eye.
24137_good_eye.jpg

That's a nice photo.
smile.png
I'm leaning towards picked on... which is maybe why she is content to let mommy hold and protect her.
wink.png
The quail that these came from are actually quite tame compared to others I've had. They let me pick them up all the time. They still run around like crazy and bonk their heads when surprised and startled, but they're not totally antisocial.

Back
Top Bottom