BYC Android App!!!!

Pics
You mean you haven't read all 18 pages of this thread? ;) 

Push notifications require API access through the forum software. I don't currently have access to any API's and don't know if they even exist. NiftyChicken might be able to contact the forum software support people and get more info.

I did originally =) i asked about it before so knew there was an obstacle. I was hoping to find out if anyone was looking into it or if we can expect push notifications at some point? I think that's the one thing that would make this app truly an app. Otherwise it just feels like the mobile site =(

I did originally =) i asked about it before so knew there was an obstacle. I was hoping to find out if anyone was looking into it or if we can expect push notifications at some point? I think that's the one thing that would make this app truly an app. Otherwise it just feels like the mobile site =(

Hah, okay. It is a good idea, and I'd be happy to donate my time to add features like that if I get API access. There are over 2,500 downloads so it seems worth the effort.

Last edited:
Hah, okay. It is a good idea, and I'd be happy to donate my time to add features like that if I get API access. There are over 2,500 downloads so it seems worth the effort.

That would be awesome! I use BYC ALL the time. I don't know about others, but I'd pay for a really well made BYC app with things like customizable push notifications, widget options to display messages or subscriptions or just a favorite thread at a glance, and the ability to upload multiple pictures at once (instead of just the one picture at a time like we're limited to on mobile right now). The app's photo upload is working really well now too so kudos on that!!!

Last edited:
I would definitely use an byc app the o e right now out I heard is not a true app in that it only opens the mobile version of the website but a true app would be so handy, right now I just use my phone's browser to the mobile version of byc which it nice

I would definitely use an byc app the o e right now out I heard is not a true app in that it only opens the mobile version of the website but a true app would be so handy, right now I just use my phone's browser to the mobile version of byc which it nice

I had originally thought that adding a menu would be redundant, so I kept it as just a WebView (and frankly I didn't have much time to work on it). However, I went ahead and added an ActionBar menu and I do think it significantly improves usability by reducing the number of clicks necessary to open common links by 50%. I have also taken things like the Desktop/Mobile buttons and moved them to the new menu, so you don't have to scroll to the very bottom of the page, which can be hard to do sometimes when the page is long.

I have already published the new version in Beta. In addition to reporting problems, I am seeking ideas for app-specific functionality to add. If you would like to help test and send your suggestions then please follow this link:

https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.backyardchickens

Last edited:
That's cool but the only concern I have is the app asks for camera and media files access before downloading

Those are just the Android rights necessary for the app to upload images/videos. Google has recently changed the rights mechanism, so you might not be familiar with the prompt, but it is a standard one.

Major changes are about complete! This new build is more of a "hybrid app" and not just a webview. The ActionBar now basically replaces all functionality from the mobile menu. And it isn't just a plain menu bar, it is dynamic (especially if you have Android 5). In my testing the ActionBar has really been an improvement because you don't have to wait for a page to load before you click the mobile menu icon, and more importantly, you don't ever really have to click the mobile menu, which is sometimes finicky, and takes up half the screen. The ActionBar menu always responds instantly, even if you are in the middle of loading a page, and this drastically increases performance.

I still would like to get at least a few beta testers' input before going live with it. It is super easy to install the Beta, and it will automatically be updated to Production when the time comes. All you have to do is click this link, and you'll get the new version instantly.

https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.backyardchickens

Here is a sample:

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom