BYC Café

x2 Hello again Trib ...and Tribs wife
frow.gif
!!!!
Trib, sorry your neighbors aren't something positive. That would be difficult to be worried about them. Maybe you can up your hens' protein % for a couple of weeks and see if that helps.
Up here in the air, I have to feed 20% , because they just do not do well on 16%. I think the altitude and the weather and the lack of insects for most of the year impacts them.

It is currently snowing, 6" and coming down hard. I get to go overnight cabin camping with my kid's class for Outdoor Education tonight. Should be interesting and I hope those girls are tired and want to sleep instead of chatting and giggling all night - hey, it could happen......

Moxie, sounds like you are all set. Good for you.

I have Coturnix Quail about medium size. Not the biggest like JM Farms, but two will make a meal. They have not started laying yet but I think they will start in March. I hatched them late, late Fall and just let them mature naturally over the winter without lights on them mainly because they are up on our outside balcony in order to keep them safe from the bears until I get my ducks in a row as to where I am really going to keep them. And if I start rabbits, then the two can share a space that I will bear proof as much as I can. We have one big boy in particular that seems to have developed a taste for chicken when he comes right out of hibernation and has demolished the chicken coops on the next ridge over these past three years. So, we will see what happens this year...

I think I would like to elbow in, if it is alright with you all.( Squeezes in at the table almost spilling chickerdoodles java.)
I have a small greenhouse nursery in Florida.
It is cold and wet right now, and everyone in my house has had or is getting a bug.

I have nine old hens who have just decided to give us a few eggs per week, so I won't need to buy any. They should be processed because that was the plan all those years ago, but we like them as pets now.

I have a great husband and teenage son, and a few delightful dogs.

I have to make a NyQuil, tissue, decongestant run, but I will pop back in and out.
My other coffee thread is great, but It is fun to visit new places too.
wink.png

Thanks for the welcome!
I am really ready to be well now.
This is a cold following the flu. I think I got one day between them.
I am ready to get back to work, But work is hard enough when I have the energy.

My husband is teaching a class right now at the community college on green house management, and he is so surprised at how really excited his students are about the class.
Maybe because we have been doing it for so long, but Blaaaaaa. Reality is less exciting than the dream of it all.

I think if we did not have to make a living at it, I might actually enjoy it.
I could retire to this. I think that is the better plan.
big_smile.png

I like your tag line about the fire ants, sad but true! Growing your own food or just growing food is ridiculously difficult at times. I wish more people really knew all of the work, thought and care that goes into it. But it is the same with firewood, most complain about the price but then those who think they are going to cut their own, last a season or just a few trees into the project. Oh well.

I was pretty lucky with my kiddos, no major colic. I took my 4 month old on a horse trip to set up a hunt camp up and over the Divide once. That was a long day, funny story and we are still here to complain about it, although he is almost 11 and doesn't remember a thing....

Back
Top Bottom