BYC Café

There's a long way between expressing an interest and getting some money.;)
However, just getting some interest is cool and I like Bristol University. They've done some good stuff on chickens.

Hmm that’s true!! But still!! It’s an important step!

And that’s awesome. :)

Whether this pans out or not, it is nice to feel that you are at least being taken seriously by someone you respect, isn't it?

X2

Whether this pans out or not, it is nice to feel that you are at least being taken seriously by someone you respect, isn't it?
It is. I submitted a paper about a year ago which they liked but didn't publish. An ongoing problem with all animal behavior studies is they cannot be reproduced under laboratory conditions. Science has until recently been a bit stuck on this matter. Scientists know that a lot of interesting stuff is slipping through the net because there are not many academics who are prepared to spend a decade studying in the field so to speak.
Instead of repeatable experiments one is reliant on observations. Collect enough data and compare with others who have collected data and you start to have a theory.
Needless to write I have quite a few of those.:p
More recently, in animal behavior particularly people have been producing 'accounts' rather than experiments. Such accounts are quite valid, but one needs to be very stringent in describing the circumstances under which the account is based.
There are some great behavior stories here on BYC, but the details are missing. Unfortunately many people see the event but don't recognize the importance of the factors that led up to it, or the consequences of it. It's a bit like some of the my hen is sick posts.
I recall one where with a bit of digging it became apparent that the 'coop' that the chickens were kept in which was a metal garage had recently been painted. Lots of advice about crop checks and diet etc, but careful reading showed that the chickens had been pecking the paint.:hmm

Last edited:
It is. I submitted a paper about a year ago which they liked but didn't publish. An ongoing problem with all animal behavior studies is they cannot be reproduced under laboratory conditions. Science has until recently been a bit stuck on this matter. Scientists know that a lot of interesting stuff is slipping through the net because there are not many academics who are prepared to spend a decade studying in the field so to speak.
Instead of repeatable experiments one is reliant on observations. Collect enough data and compare with others who have collected data and you start to have a theory.
Needless to write I have quite a few of those.:p
More recently, in animal behavior particularly people have been producing 'accounts' rather than experiments. Such accounts are quite valid, but one needs to be very stringent in describing the circumstances under which the account is based.
There are some great behavior stories here on BYC, but the details are missing. Unfortunately many people see the event but don't recognize the importance of the factors that led up to it, or the consequences of it. It's a bit like some of the my hen is sick posts.
I recall one where with a bit of digging it became apparent that the 'coop' that the chickens were kept in which was a metal garage had recently been painted. Lots of advice about crop checks and diet etc, but careful reading showed that the chickens had been pecking the paint.:hmm
The stock reply to most things is Mareks! but no testing to prove it.

One person finally took in a dead bird for and found it was lead poisoning. lead paint chips were falling off of a building and the birds were eating it.

One can send in a sample to a lab from a live bird to see if it has mareks but most do not do that

The stock reply to most things is Mareks! but no testing to prove it.

One person finally took in a dead bird for and found it was lead poisoning. lead paint chips were falling off of a building and the birds were eating it.

One can send in a sample to a lab from a live bird to see if it has mareks but most do not do that
And if it's not Mareks then its Coccidiosis! :lol:...its ridiculous how often these two are thrown out as the cause of the chickens illness.

Back
Top Bottom