BYC Café

I've been doing it for 10 years.....Some years 20 trips...some years 8-9....just never know. If a dog needs to go to the vet up there...I take them. If they are done with the 18 months of raising I take them back up. I set up meeting places to meet the raisers all over NE Ohio. There are many high school kids who raise a dog...and then it's so heartbreaking when I meet them to take the dog back. I end up driving away with the dog and I'm in tears. It's a tough thing but many many folks do more than one....they know that it's a beautiful gift to give!

That’s amazing you do all that!! I’ve thought about raising a dog but I know it’d be so hard to give them back!! I think it’d be worth it though!!

That’s amazing you do all that!! I’ve thought about raising a dog but I know it’d be so hard to give them back!! I think it’d be worth it though!!
It's a big commitment. You must take the puppy to class every week and each week you must work with the dog and take them out for "exposures". You do "puppy swaps" with other raisers on weekends ....they have the program designed to give the pups lots of exposure to different people, settings, pets, etc. Then, the dog goes to the guide dog school. Not every one is successful...but they have many, many waiting lists....State Police, police departments, Homeland Security...etc. If the pup becomes a guide dog....when it retires, the original raiser has the option to adopt. It's a great organization.....I support them any way I can.

It's a big commitment. You must take the puppy to class every week and each week you must work with the dog and take them out for "exposures". You do "puppy swaps" with other raisers on weekends ....they have the program designed to give the pups lots of exposure to different people, settings, pets, etc. Then, the dog goes to the guide dog school. Not every one is successful...but they have many, many waiting lists....State Police, police departments, Homeland Security...etc. If the pup becomes a guide dog....when it retires, the original raiser has the option to adopt. It's a great organization.....I support them any way I can.

Seems like stuff I would do with my own puppy anyway. :)

And that’s awesome!! Really does seem like a great organization!!

Yes....I'm aware!!! My route is typically from Ohio to Yorktown Heights (guide dog school) then Rt 84....Through Danbury (UGH...traffic!!)...84 to 91N and 91 almost to Mass. You do not want to go anywhere around there on a Friday after 3:00!!! Lots of people work in DC and live in Conn and go home Friday night. Last time I went it took me 13 hours to get to Yorktown....and my future home is 2 hours beyond that. It took 5 hours!!! So what is normally a 12 hour drive was 18!! Luckily I won't live anywhere near that craziness....I'll be in tolland county.....almost on border of CT/MA.....very rural.
That is some beautiful country there. I was out that way a few years ago in May for work. The humidity was a bit much though.

That is some beautiful country there. I was out that way a few years ago in May for work. The humidity was a bit much though.
I think it's beautiful too, IM. My son has lived there for almost 14 years so I've been there many times. The summer can get hotter than I like.....and the farmhouse has no air conditioning but we are looking at putting it in.

Back
Top Bottom