BYC Café

Good morning Cafe! Thanks for the coffee, Shad.
Shad, when we first bought this house and were in the demo process, I had the side door off the house and all the walls were down to the studs. A pair of dark eyed juncos persistently flew into the kitchen and were building a nest in the old stove vent in the wall. I'd come in to get a drink find another nest started and threw it outside. I did this 4 times in one day before they finally took the hint!
Off to PA again this morning. Everyone have a great day!

Good morning Cafe! Thanks for the coffee, Shad.
Shad, when we first bought this house and were in the demo process, I had the side door off the house and all the walls were down to the studs. A pair of dark eyed juncos persistently flew into the kitchen and were building a nest in the old stove vent in the wall. I'd come in to get a drink find another nest started and threw it outside. I did this 4 times in one day before they finally took the hint!
Off to PA again this morning. Everyone have a great day!
Sometimes those birds get an idea and they take a lot of convincing to change it! Hope your day goes well, DL.

Good morning Cafe.
Coffee is made.
Blue skies and sunshine here.
I seem to have been invaded. One Robin, two wagtails and a green finch in the house this morning. The robin is trying to break into a sunflower seed packet.:rolleyes:
Good Morning Shad.....what lovely company you have in the house today!! Thanks for the coffee, ....really appreciate it.

@MysteryChicken A number of folks have done Easter Egger and other crosses that are silkied; at the opposite end of the spectrum, there are silkied Seramas. I guess my question is, what are you trying to achieve? If it's just a large fowl with silkied feathers, that's already been done many times over. If you want all of the Silkie characteristics in a large fowl, that's going to take a lot of work over a long time. If you are just doing it to entertain yourself, hey, they are your birds; have fun. :idunno But since you have some "good" Silkies, you no doubt know about the vaulted skull, and the fact that the better the crest, the bigger the vault. Larger fowl peck harder than the little ones (no duh!) and one peck in just the wrong spot can cause irreparable brain damage - I learned that the hard way when I was raising Polish. You may go out one day and find the best chick in the brooder unable to stand because one of the others pecked it.:he Like I said, have fun, but brace yourself because it may be a rough ride.

@MysteryChicken A number of folks have done Easter Egger and other crosses that are silkied; at the opposite end of the spectrum, there are silkied Seramas. I guess my question is, what are you trying to achieve? If it's just a large fowl with silkied feathers, that's already been done many times over. If you want all of the Silkie characteristics in a large fowl, that's going to take a lot of work over a long time. If you are just doing it to entertain yourself, hey, they are your birds; have fun. :idunno But since you have some "good" Silkies, you no doubt know about the vaulted skull, and the fact that the better the crest, the bigger the vault. Larger fowl peck harder than the little ones (no duh!) and one peck in just the wrong spot can cause irreparable brain damage - I learned that the hard way when I was raising Polish. You may go out one day and find the best chick in the brooder unable to stand because one of the others pecked it.:he Like I said, have fun, but brace yourself because it may be a rough ride.
I know there are Silkied EEs, & Silkied Seramas, they don't look like Silkies.

I'm gonna make Giant Silkies with all the features. Not silkied Brahmas if that's what you're imagining? Yes this gonna take a long time to do, but it's worth it.
My Silkies are non-Vaulted, only a couple have partial/small vaults.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom