BYC Café

Folly did not chime in on my thread. I do not like stressing her and because I've seen no true improvement, I did not medicate her last night. She was resting comfortably and I left her be.
It is very stressful for me. I am okay with euthanizing an animal that is suffering with no hope for recovery. It actually makes me feel better because I know they aren't in pain any longer. My stress comes from knowing my animal is in pain. I want it to stop.
Trying to get the timing right on letting go is always tough. If they are still enjoying life, I want them to have as much time as possible. But how can I really know how much pain she is hiding?
I read an article written by a veterinarian once that said he had yet to see an owner that brought an animal in too soon to be euthanized. Everyone always waits too long. I guess that is because no one wants to take the life of an innocent animal. But she is my responsibility and I'm going to have to do this pretty soon I think.
The sun is coming up now so I'm going to head out to tend to the flock and see how she is today.
I know you'll take care of Lucy, but you take care of yourself while you're at it.

I know you'll take care of Lucy, but you take care of yourself while you're at it.
Shockingly, she looked great this morning! She came right out to the breakfast bar then left with a contingency of hens and Capitan to forage in the pen as the grass is all visible now.

Good morning Cafe

Thanks for the coffee!

Sorry to hear about Lucy, Tonya. I never had any of my chickens, have EYP but have had a few of my pheasants. I'm not the "medicate" type person, and there really is no cure for egg peritonitis. It rarely causes death, unless the yolk material migrates through the air sacs to the lungs...causes pneumonia.
Some of my pheasants have had it for years and are still alive...although they don't lay anymore, I just can't seem to dispatch of them, if they got really bad I could but until that happens I'll just observe and keep an eye on them.

It is stressful on me to see them in the penguin stance, sometimes almost passing out because they are pushing so hard...but the next day or two, they are behaving as nothing was ever amiss.

Good morning Cafe

Thanks for the coffee!

Sorry to hear about Lucy, Tonya. I never had any of my chickens, have EYP but have had a few of my pheasants. I'm not the "medicate" type person, and there really is no cure for egg peritonitis. It rarely causes death, unless the yolk material migrates through the air sacs to the lungs...causes pneumonia.
Some of my pheasants have had it for years and are still alive...although they don't lay anymore, I just can't seem to dispatch of them, if they got really bad I could but until that happens I'll just observe and keep an eye on them.

It is stressful on me to see them in the penguin stance, sometimes almost passing out because they are pushing so hard...but the next day or two, they are behaving as nothing was ever amiss.
Thanks for this information! Maybe I'll just have a cute little free loader on my hands!

I currently have 24 active layers... I think poor Lucy is down for the count.
I collected 22 eggs yesterday. I'm buried. I have over 10 dozen in the refrigerator at home and 3 dozen at work. Only 7 are slated to sell and not until Thursday. I need more customers!
It's always feast or famine.

Shockingly, she looked great this morning! She came right out to the breakfast bar then left with a contingency of hens and Capitan to forage in the pen as the grass is all visible now.
Chickens do that sometimes. I hope she recovers completely for you

I do not go to extreme measures to treat the when they are going down hill.

Back
Top Bottom