BYC Café

Just had a fox attack here. Sven (my avatar) is missing and a few of his feathers appear to indicate his last position. Aneka, my broody welsummer pullet, is missing without trace. Obelix, my Barbezieux cockerel just turned 8 months old, is mortally wounded. :hit The rest are badly shaken: a first time for them all. I need to alert the local hunter to try to get him before any more are taken.
Oh Perris, that's terrible.:hugs.
Can you save the cockerel?

Just had a fox attack here. Sven (my avatar) is missing and a few of his feathers appear to indicate his last position. Aneka, my broody welsummer pullet, is missing without trace. Obelix, my Barbezieux cockerel just turned 8 months old, is mortally wounded. :hit The rest are badly shaken: a first time for them all. I need to alert the local hunter to try to get him before any more are taken.
So sorry. :hugs

Oh Perris, that's terrible.:hugs.
Can you save the cockerel?
I don't know; he's wrapped in a towel in a veg crate by the front door, and he's still with us at the moment. Better news was that at 8, while I was prowling the boundaries to try to reassure the rest, Sven leaped over the field wall opposite our drive, with fox biting at his rear end, and headed straight for me. Fox ran off down the lane. Sven, old warhorse, headed for his favorite roost in the parrotia persica, and is recovering there. He looks to be in a dreadful state featherwise, but has no obvious bleeding. Still no sign of Aneka, and I think she's gone. I'm keeping her eggs (her own, 2 of them, due to hatch a week today) warm until the other broody gets off this pm, then I'll slip them in there. I do hope they hatch, so she can live on. The hunter is coming this pm.

Perris, I am so sorry! And to have the damn thing come back and make another go for Sven so soon.
:hugs

How hard is it to get a cup of Earl Grey around here anyways? SQUAWK!
SQUAWK!.JPG

thanks all; we will be super-vigilant for the next few days and nights, as it's sure to come back for more now it knows where they are, and 2 of 4 cocks are out of contention. I have scattered assorted large objects around as deterrents (Springwatch on the TV here last year ran some interesting experiments on fox deterrence) and will stand guard at dusk. Thankfully the other broody has come off her nest for food etc., so I could put the lost broody's eggs in her nest, and fingers crossed, we all make it to hatch next week... :fl

Back
Top Bottom