BYC Café

Congrats to him and you too! Finally more time for family and friends and enjoying hobbies.
Thank you. He’ll have more time. I’m not able to retire yet (he’s 9 years older than me). However, I work in our local school district, so I do have summers, weekends and holidays off so we can do things. He’s looking forward to more hunting and fishing time in the fall
will you sell your place? Will you retire too??? :eek:

This time thing.... it keeps moving.
Nope, not going to sell the place. Our land is in the CRP (conservation reserve program) program so we get all kinds of fun wildlife around the place now. The land he’s been farming is all rented - some if it for 50 years! (He started farming the year after he graduated from high school.)
Will family be filling the void left by your Dh retiring? The reason I ask is, I see so much farm land in my area turning into housing developments.
None of our sons chose to carry on the family tradition of farming. (The farm was homesteaded by DH’s great-grandparents in the 1870’s.) Fortunately, we are in a very rural area - not close enough to anything for anyone to be interested in turning the land into housing developments. Instead, we have big farmers gobbling up all the available land and making it hard for young farmers to get started by outbidding them on rent. The small family farms where neighbors worked together and helped each other out have become a thing of the past.

Back
Top Bottom