BYC Café

Good morning Café!

A fresh pot is on the counter, in case nosy @DobieLover drained the one she brought all by herself while waiting for the chick pics.
:caf

Here they come:

20240327_092012.jpg
20240327_092401.jpg
20240327_092410.jpg

Good morning Café!

A fresh pot is on the counter, in case nosy @DobieLover drained the one she brought all by herself while waiting for the chick pics.
:caf

Here they come:

View attachment 3783215View attachment 3783216View attachment 3783217
:love
Thanks for the pick me up!
Whose eggs went under her? They all look like the same breed. What was her hatch rate?

Tink has been keeping eggs warm ever since they all started laying again last month. I think I'll let her set a few pretty soon.

I don't know if I told the Cafe or just Shad's clan but the couple that bought dads house want to get chickens. So I told the wife to send hubs over here so I can show him how to build the coop.
I am going to hatch chicks here, let the moms raise them to at least 20 weeks old then they will take all the pullets and the cockerel I least want to strangle.

I don't think they'll care if they aren't all the same age, just as long as they get them all as a single flock.

Whose eggs went under her?
My pure bred Amrocks plus Olive egger rooster x pure BCM. The Olive Egger rooster is also barred that is why they all have white dots on their heads.
What was her hatch rate?
Still unknown. Fertility rate and development until day 18 was 100 %.
I am going to hatch chicks here, let the moms raise them to at least 20 weeks old then they will take all the pullets and the cockerel I least want to strangle.
Is there a special reason you will be doing all the work etc.?

You could sell or borrow them one of your broody hens plus some fertlized eggs so they would be able to raise them on their own with some of your help and advice.

Last edited:
I'm nosy. I always lift the broody. And watch little fuzz balls fall off her belly. But sometimes they get stuck under a wing. You have to be careful about that.
I peek too, grab empty shells.
Luckily the broodies I've had were acclimated to me doing that.

I once found a chick looped around the neck with mama's tangled breast feathers. I had to cut that tangle off the mama then cut the tangled loop off the chicks neck.

Is there a special reason you will be doing all the work etc.?
Because I LOVE watching broody hens so their thing but I want my flock size to decrease, not increase.
You could sell or borrow them one of your broody hens plus some fertlized eggs so they would be able to raise them on their own with some of your help and advice.
They can do this next year with their own broody!! My hens are mine! Mine, mine, MINE!
And I'd have to reintegrate her.
And my current number one broody is also my number one hen.

Back
Top Bottom