BYC Café

Sorry I've been absent everyone - life with two teenagers is very busy! Plus my work, always work gets in the way of life. :)

Krista, that's good to hear. I give you kudos for those injections...you are very brave. I have my fingers crossed.

My folks have been there as well as NZ and they say both areas were beautiful but they really loved everyone they met. They said everyone was just so nice and friendly. :) Someday I'd love to travel there. I'm so scared to fly though so I'd need a few stiff drinks to make it!

Our chicks come in a month! I still need to construct a brooder but we have all the materials to do so. We're excited.

Hello to everyone else! Work is calling. Ugh!

Aren't we a horrible crew... work always getting in the way of our fun! Dang-it.

I think the picture is deceiving on the turkey toes. Its not quite as long as it looks. Basic chicken feet, I think, only stronger and thicker. Gemma originally was to be given to my sister-in-law to raise. But such a sweet little thing, I'm having trouble letting go. SIL told me to keep her, she doesn't mind either way, so we will see! She will be a pet either way, with me or with SIL. Its a heritage breed, so it could live several years! Not supposed to get as huge as broad-breasted turkeys either.

Kayaking sounds like a blast, 3goodeggs. Enjoy! Its still chilly up here, but we did get up to 70 yesterday. Wanted to take the ducklings out, but it was soooo windy! Didn't want the little boogers to blow away.

Have a great day everyone!

Do all turkeys have such long middle toes?

So, you named her/him so I assume she/he will be a pet?

I am going kayaking today with my family. I made apple slices and turkey samiches. (don't tell Gemma)
...and then the irrigation broke at the nursery. So...
hu.gif

I am going kayaking today.
I don't care when it happens.
I'll be out there at midnight beating off the alligators, but I am going. and they are going with me.The mom has spoken.
barnie.gif

Work is getting in the way of my happiness.
I do hope 'The Mom' has a better afternoon then her morning is turning out!
Scott

I loaded up on chicken feed today including chick starter, just in case. I do not hear any peeps yet but she was particularly growly when I checked on her. We are supposed to get a foot of snow although both my son and I woke up with sinus headaches and that might mean the storm is going to be stronger than predicted. Oh joy.... off to bring in firewood and fill up the water containers because the power ALWAYS goes off in these spring storms.
In my mind, a mental health day will help you solve the problems faster in the long run, so you are actually saving time by going kayaking!

It was great! lunch is always better wedged between cypress knees.
The State has recently taken over Silver Springs. You can launch you kayaks from their parking lot go down river and paddle back up to the spring head.
the 3 miles down river with the wind at our back was much easier than the three miles up river against the wind. My arms are all owie and the coffee cup is too heavy. I might need a straw.

Oh! There was a mom and dad wood duck pair with their brand new fuzzy faced brood. they must have just hatched. There were about ten of them. I figure between the turtles gators and bass they will be down to only a few by this evening.

And I saw this bird for the first time in my life. and I have always lived here so...cool.
River warbler.
He was very friendly and curious. I assume we must have been eating lunch near it's nest.

images

And some of the monkeys were hanging out in some branches low to the water. They lean back and watch the people paddle by, just chillin'.
The Monkeys were left overs from when they filmed Tarzan there,

We did not see any babies this trip, but there usually are some. and a scary dad.
again, these are google images, I have some from years back, but i would have to dig through too many disks to find them.
Silver+River+230.jpg

article-2442309-187C16BA00000578-206_964x799.jpg

Last edited:
Good morning all
frow.gif

You know, over the last 2 days I have done 10 hours driving all up. It really takes it out of you! I had work yesterday, which is a two hour drive there and back. I normally work from home, but one day a week I head off to the office to pick up fresh work and drop off the completed stuff I've done. Anyway, work went well, but there was a big awkward moment at the end of it.

When I first started working I was employed by a firm we shall henceforth refer to as Company X. The Manager of Company X decided to sell his business to Company Z, and as a part of the deal he would stay on as the Financial Planner for the business, but Company Z would retain all of the Accounting clients. It was almost like a merger, until Manager X started challenging Manager Z's authority. He packed up his bat and ball and relocated to a separate building, where he established his Financial Planning Business. Company Z (where I work) continued on with all the accounting clients. So the end result was more like a take-over and quite hostile, lol.

Anywho..... the two Companies have some mutual clients, so there is still discussion between the two businesses on a regular basis. Yesterday I went to visit Manager X to do just that, and while I was there he tried to poach me from Company Z! He knows me well - I worked with him for nearly 10 years prior to the 'merger', and he offered me $20K a year on top of what Company Z are paying me, as well as fuel reimbursement. I feel nothing but supremely awkward about it. Don't get me wrong - an extra $20K would be a HUGE deal to us. But I love the people at Company Z, and the professional atmosphere as well. I told him I was not in a place where I could make any big decisions right now, and that I had some personal issues I needed to deal with over the coming months. He said "That's fine. Just know that when you want to have that conversation, I'm ready."

Just what I needed right now. More stress!
barnie.gif

Oh well, moving on......

VWduckchick - Very cute little turkey. I must admit, I know nothing about turkeys. Do you still call her a 'chick' or is that term reserved for chickens? Either way, she is just gorgeous. I'm very partial to the babies!

3goodeggs - Kayaking sounds like fun, but I don't know if I could 'man up' and do it myself. I am a non-swimmer, so the idea of being out on the water terrifies me. I think I am quite unusual in not being able to swim. All of my friends could when I was at school. My parents never took us kids to the pool though, and as a result none of the 4 of us can swim.

Terrysgirl - The injections don't bother me much, but only because I get hubby to administer them. I can inject cows, cats, dogs - you name it. But there is something inherently wrong about needing to jab yourself! Hubby is quite good at them though, so they don't hurt too much.

Mtn Margie - I love growly broody hens. They are just beautiful to me! My broodies tend to make a big fanfare when I go near them, but once I started petting them they just melt, and turn into big sooks!

Today I have a home day, until about 2pm when I am heading out for a hair appointment. Yay - another 2 hours driving! In the mean time, I have a house that looks like a bomb has hit it, and a chook house which looks just as bad. Lots of cleaning for me today!

Have a great day all!

- Krista x

Back
Top Bottom