BYC Café

My sister has been struggling with alcohol for quite a while. Our maternal grandfather and our mother were both alcoholics. Early last winter I told her "something inside you is broken and you need to fix it." Now something inside me is very broken too.

My sister also suffers from some debilitating joint issues. She just went out on disability. We both thought now would be the perfect time to get her into AA meetings.

I drove her to her first meeting this afternoon and went in with her because it was an open meeting. She was the only female there! However, I was thoroughly impressed with the meeting and the men there that supported her. I told her I hope she continues to go to that meeting along with other meetings specifically for women.

I have yet to find something for me but I can still access the social worker that handled Dave's case.

In the meantime this is my therapy.
Been there/done that. Alcohol addiction can be broken. In my experience folks attending AA meetings are far more sensitive to the needs of others than most can realize unless they are part of the program. As for you, 'dog therapy' is great, but maybe some grief/stress counseling is in order. I get that you are strong, but your stress level for the past several years has been Herculean. :hugsGood on you for supporting your sister.

some grief/stress counseling is in order
I am scheduled for a phone call with the hospice social worker this Friday.
I will be getting a packet in the mail from hospice with recommendations for local grief support groups and I'll get several one on one, in person sessions with a therapist through the program. I have no idea how this will or will not help me until I try it.
I've been functioning enough to keep the house running and meet my animals needs. I'm lacking in self care but am trying.

I've been trying to do all my PT exercises at home. One of them, bridging, was really hurting my butt when I rotated my pelvis to drive my lower back into the floor before lifting my butt off the ground so I was on my feet and shoulders. So I was told to stop doing that one. That should have been my que that things were going to progress to the next stage.
I was re-evaluated today.

PT: Yay, your strength is now equal on both sides.

Me: But my butt still hurts.

PT: That's because the pain is still originating in your spine. You need an MRI and a corticosteroid injection in your back.

Me. Oh, goodie.

Well I kinda wish she was, I would like her to try to hatch them.
Put multiple nest eggs in her nest site save eggs at a moderate temperature and humidity turning daily and give them to her when she goes broody or depending on ambient temperatures allow her to build a clutch.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom