BYC Cookbook*VOTE*

Looks great!! I still think separate threads for the different catagories would be best. That way you are not swamped with PMs or emails of recipes. Then we can also use them while you and who ever else would like to help compiles the book. You would just have to set a time limit to add your recipe to make it in the book. Jenn

This is a great project, but there are legalities to be considered. Nifty owns the BYC name, trademark and copyright. Some recipes may be copyrighted as well, being original recipes or family recipes.

Remember to get permission from every recipe contributor. Some may be copyrighted.
Some are posted here for assumed personal use only.

maybe we could start with an appetizers post and put a time limit like 21 days to post your recipes, then lock that thred and go on to the next section. This way all compilers and contributers can work in order and at the beginning of the thred I can post the submission format and a little disclaimer about how they will be used and all recipes must be non-copywrited.

Whatcha think?

Last edited:
Quote:
i agree with this, but just have one thred active at a time. This should also give people time to think about what they would like to submit for upcoming sections and i can compile in order of publishing.

This is a great project, but there are legalities to be considered. Nifty owns the BYC name, trademark and copyright. Some recipes may be copyrighted as well, being original recipes or family recipes.

Remember to get permission from every recipe contributor. Some may be copyrighted.
Some are posted here for assumed personal use only.

Community cookbooks are a VERY common thing. You don't have to have permission printed from each person who contributes. Submitting the recipie for printing is permission enough. Family recipes belong to every member of the family who has them so any member of the family would be allowed to submit it. Yeah, pulling recipes out of a cookbook and putting them in there would be a problem, but I am sure no one here plans to do that. As for nifty chicken owning the BYC name, etc., again, he has given his blessings. This is a great idea and one that needs to happen. It may be the very first virtual community to EVER get together for this type thing! I am looking forward to it!!!​

Last edited:
Hey Everyone!

A BYC Cookbook has been at the top of our to-do list for a while. This could be a really fun and exciting aspect of BYC and we want to make sure it is done right (correct permissions, copyrights, use of BYC name, well organized, pretty, etc.).

We're brainstorming a few ideas, but we're guessing we'll try to leverage the BYC Pages tool for posting recipes and images (you always need pictures
smile.png
) and then organizing them for an online and printable official "BYC Cookbook".

The problem with online and printable is that a lot of us really want a "real" bound and printed cookbook. I am sure there are places that do small quantity printing and you could do pre-orders.
smile.png

My head is spinning, questions, questions
tongue.png

I have used Staples for printing before, and they were able to fullfill my order within 24 hours.there are staples stores all over the place and you can place an order online24/7 for any quantity.

I think this would be an excellent resource since they will print and bind with no minimum quantity. A color cover and B&W inner print should suffice with a comb binding. We can compare costs once we have a page count and details on size.

Lulu.com was mentioned befoer eand that could be another real option for us. Though would people want to order off BYC site directly?

Distribution is another question. Of course online members should have first pick, but I thought these would be great for chickenstocks and fairs. If we have regional reps for our cookbook who each have a master copy and instructions for printing format we could really make a splash in the poultry worls and spread the word not only about BYC but also the joys of fowl friends :)

What about profits though? This is a major consideration. Does BYC have not-for-profit staus? Is there a BYC project in the works that some funding would help make real? Website expansion? Help offset any BYC costs? fund for future BYC projects?

LOL I think we need a finance/treasurer.....

or we could sell them at cost, but that seems like we could be really missing out on an opportunity to do good in the BYC community :)

Pictures are a must and when we get closer to the end I think a cover picture competition would be fun!

Okay I'm just the compiler, i'm not a numbers person...lmao

plus, there is a lot of time to figure this out.

I like the ideas and the brainstorming.

Important: We need to make sure that nothing is finalized, printed or copied until the BYC Staff has been able to work together and come up with some guidelines.

We have some great connections with book printers and could get a BYC Cookbook added to the BYC store without too much additional work. We've already got the shopping cart setup and the ability to process payments, do customer support and shipping. Also, we significantly reduce shipping costs with multiple orders, so adding a bumper sticker or a shirt wouldn't be too difficult.

Look out for some information and guidance from the BYC Staff soon!

woot.gif

Thanks Nifty-Chicken sounds great to me everything will go well with orginazation..
smile.png

I am excited
woot.gif

I Will be watching ( as I know others will too)
caf.gif
for the deadline date for entry of recipes and where to send them...
clap.gif
So I am going to start compiling my entries.... so I can be ready
yippiechickie.gif

Back
Top Bottom