BYC members in Massachusetts?

Hey everyone! does anyone in western mass have a splash silkie bantam hen for sale? must be confirmed female, any age as long as she’s adult size. must have silkied feathers, be bearded, not a mix. NPIP certification isn't necessary but no birds with obvious contagious illness, of course. thanks :)

Hello, I have 3 beautiful Muscovy hens for rehoming, would prefer they all stay together, they hatched in spring of 2020, all being from different places and parents. Located in Western MA. Pet only homes, or a home where they will be given at least another breeding season. They are all friendly with people, the grey one being hand tame practically. Still producing eggs just fine, and all are healthy. They all have names, Penny (grey one), Piper (white one), Dottie (black one), they don't know there names well, don't expect them to remember.

Attachments

• quackinaround3.png
    quackinaround3.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 4
Anyone in the pioneer valley area interested in some free pullets, hens, cockerels, and/or roosters? I have a variety of breeds and some mixes. I have to move so I’m looking to get rid of most of them. I don’t mind giving the roos/cockerels to someone who will use them for meat because some of them are no good but the pullets and hens are good layers and I’d prefer they go to good homes as I’m quite fond of them. Aside from the few rude cocks and roos all of them are of good temperament. I probably won’t be able to provide good quality photos of all of them because they aren’t all super friendly but please PM if you want more information. Thanks

I’m in Concord and need to rehome a Partridge Penedesenca cockerel. He is almost 4 months old and from Meyer Hatchery. Let me know if you’re interested. I can meet you somewhere in the middle.
Thanks!
IMG_2223.jpeg

I've found my "neighbors" at last! I'm on the south shore, and will be starting a new small flock in spring 2024. If anyone local (and by local, I mean just about anywhere within a few hours' drive) has recommendations for sourcing Plymouth Rock pullets, I would appreciate it.

Do you all source your feed nearby, or do you order online? The options seem endless but I'm dubious of quality.

Do you all source your feed nearby, or do you order online? The options seem endless but I'm dubious of quality.
I order online just because there's nothing close enough to me to go to in person, that wouldn't require at least an hour total drive (to and from), and I'd rather not lose that hour than save a few bucks on shipping. Especially because I only have a handful of chickens and a bag lasts me a long time. If I happen to be in the area, or have extra time, I sometimes go to the TSC in Holbrook. Some people go to Ventura Grain in Taunton, and I've gotten chicks and chick starter from them once, but I don't like them and will probably not go again. They spread misinformation and try to push their preferences onto customers, which I don't appreciate. Some people praise their feed for being local, and maybe that aspect of it is a selling point, but overall I don't like it for other reasons - for chick starter, they only have it in mash form, which is basically just dust. And their grower and layer feeds are way too low in protein - only 16%, when the ideal is at least 18-20%. So what I end up doing is ordering from TSC's website - Purina medicated chick starter crumble when I have chicks, and Purina flock raiser crumble (20% protein) the rest of the year. They are using a new delivery company now and even if you choose standard delivery and not next day, the feed still arrives the next day or at most in 2 days, which is great!

Last edited:
I order online just because there's nothing close enough to me to go to in person, that wouldn't require at least an hour total drive (to and from), and I'd rather not lose that hour than save a few bucks on shipping. Especially because I only have a handful of chickens and a bag lasts me a long time. If I happen to be in the area, or have extra time, I sometimes go to the TSC in Holbrook. Some people go to Ventura Grain in Taunton, and I've gotten chicks and chick starter from them once, but I don't like them and will probably not go again. They spread misinformation and try to push their preferences onto customers, which I don't appreciate. Some people praise their feed for being local, and maybe that aspect of it is a selling point, but overall I don't like it for other reasons - for chick starter, they only have it in mash form, which is basically just dust. And their grower and layer feeds are way too low in protein - only 16%, when the ideal is at least 18-20%. So what I end up doing is ordering from TSC's website - Purina medicated chick starter crumble when I have chicks, and Purina flock raiser crumble the rest of the year. They are using a new delivery company now and even if you choose standard delivery and not next day, the feed still arrives the next day or at most in 2 days, which is great!
This is very helpful, thank you! We have quite a few farms and homesteads around my area, so I might contact a few of them to see if they sell feed or maybe they'll give me a hint where they buy it. We have a TSC nearby as well, so between those options the ol' internet it sounds like we'll be ok.

We'll only have a few in the flock as well -- no chicken math here! -- and it's always nice to see others who don't have big numbers. Do you ferment your feed, or give it to them as-is?

Do you ferment your feed, or give it to them as-is?
They have a no-spill feeder in the coop that's always full with dry feed as is, and in addition to that, when I have time, I bring them a bowl of that same feed mixed with water, until it reaches the clumpy consistency of wet sand. For some reason they LOVE that and eat it like it's treats :lol: I make it with cold water in the summer, to help them cool off, and with hot water in the winter, so it's steamy warm by the time I take it out and it can help them warm up from the inside. Not that they really need it - they are wrapped in down coats - but I imagine it must feel nice on a cold morning. This is my way of giving them "treats" without actually giving them treats and compromising their nutrition. It's our hangout time - I sit with them, they eat it out of my hands, then they hang out with me and we have a nice chat about life.

I've found my "neighbors" at last! I'm on the south shore, and will be starting a new small flock in spring 2024. If anyone local (and by local, I mean just about anywhere within a few hours' drive) has recommendations for sourcing Plymouth Rock pullets, I would appreciate it.

Hello neighbors. I live in the shadow of Gillette stadium. I have only bought feed from Ventura. You see their trucks delivering feed to farms on 495, 95 and rte 24. I find it fresh, the people great and my dog loves to visit them. The chick starter is very fine. But the chicks only get that for about 4 weeks. Then grower until they are all laying. When the hens are in laying season, I feed layer pellets. For the winter, I switch them to Game bird pellets. This has worked well for me and the girls. YMMV.

Attachments

• feed.JPG
    feed.JPG
    122.5 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom