BYC members in Massachusetts?

Quote:
Blood test and a metal band. It's all fairly quick.

One thing I learned the hard way years ago... when you get the poultry inspector to come do blood tests, round up your birds before she/he gets there and have them either in a hutch, coop, box, etc. that you can pull out one bird at a time to hand to the inspector. If your birds free-range or you have barn or coop, it saves a LOT of time and aggravation to have them all in a confined spot on blood test day. Nothing more embarrassing than running around trying to catch your birds while the inspector keeps checking her watch...
wink.png
I had 125 birds to test last fall-- all were in cages and ready and waiting. I also provided chairs and a table for him to work. My inspector likes side by side chairs, using one as a table.

This is an annual test, so remember to make call to schedule the next one before the 12m time.

Good point about a table and chairs to work on, Arielle. I set up a couple of concrete cinderblocks and plywood for a table. Works great with the chickens, though when I had my turkey, the inspector just would just stand him on the ground and straddle him like a pony to take a sample. lol.

Last edited:
Hello!
I'm in Massachusetts and looking for four Orpington sexed female chicks and a black silkie! Preferably black, blue, buff and white for the Orpington's (so I can tell them apart)
Thanks!
Carly

Hello!
I'm in Massachusetts and looking for four Orpington sexed female chicks and a black silkie! Preferably black, blue, buff and white for the Orpington's (so I can tell them apart)
Thanks!
Carly
Hi Carly, I have BO that should e old enough to know which are pullets. If you are near Milford MA, send me a PM and maybe we can meet before the meet.

Ty for the testing info. I had no idea. Question about feed: I have 5 chickens who are about to come off starter feed and go onto grower feed. The organic starter cost about $37 for 50 libs. Anyone from Massachusetts know where I can get a better price? Or is that a good price?

Ty for the testing info. I had no idea. Question about feed: I have 5 chickens who are about to come off starter feed and go onto grower feed. The organic starter cost about $37 for 50 libs. Anyone from Massachusetts know where I can get a better price? Or is that a good price?
I can't comment on the feed, but I just wanted to say I love your avatar. It looks like the chicks are posing.
lol.png
Too funny.

Hello Everyone,

I know it's a long shot. But I have a couple of handsome young fellas that need a home. One of our broodies hatched them on May 17th. They are sussex from eggs from Muddyhorse here on BYC. I have a tested flock and she is NPIP.

I will also have a Golden Laced Cochin boy hatched on May 29th. I'm still in denial he's a boy. He is also from a breeder here on BYC who is NPIP.

I'm willing to meet anyone at any of the boats, New Bedford, Woods Hole, Falmouth, Hyannis.

B2

B1 aka naked boy

Last edited:
I'm looking for a female silver laced polish chick. Does anyone local breed them? Alternately, is anyone in the metro west making a Meyer's order for June fifteenth that I could add a couple of chicks to?

Is there anyone in Plymouth or close to Plymouth who has anywhere from 4 to 10 hatching eggs available from chickens? Preferred breeds are Plymouth Rocks, Orpingtons, Welsummers, Marans, EEs, or some similar standard sized egg layer or dual dual purpose breeds. Full sized chickens only. No Bantams and no RIRs. I would be happy to pick up locally. I have two very persistant broody hens and I'd like to give them eggs to sit on. We lost our roo last summer so we have no fertile eggs.I could buy eggs from the "for sale" section but would prefer to buy them and pick them up locally since they have already been sitting for awhile. I tried to break them to no avail. I think I'll just let them hatch and maybe get a new roo out of it too. One of them has successfully hatched and raised chicks before. Thanks!

I can't say the eggs are fertile but I do have 3 roosters you can have - one white leghorn - one barred rock and a black copper maran - or any one of the 3. The leghorn and the barred rock hatched April 11 and the copper maran is a few weeks younger - they are very friendly with the hens so if you want eggs I can give you a rooster or 3 to go along with them. I am in Rockland.

Back
Top Bottom