BYC Spinning Fiber

lol.png
you are shamelessly rich, woman! When I was a child, we were so poor and I wanted to sew so badly, and back then it meant hand sewing! I told my mother when I was 6 years old that when I got my own house I'd have an ENTIRE dresser full of material...well, I've had that for twenty years or so, now... just in case.

That's a wonderful room, can we all come and visit??? With our hands outstretched...
lol.png

My quiviut isn't good quality, its from every single hike I've taken w/my hunting dogs and collected as I found it, its clean and ready to spin now.

My friend Lucy's is from when her hubby hunts, he shaves the quiviut off the hide so it needs a lot of dehairing done...I think she is near spinning in the raw, hair and all right now;) LOL!

Do a search for the wool posted...I've got to wait til Wednesday, payday to get mine.

When I knit for th Co-op, they send me yarn (sport weight) to knit up their Tundra patterns and its the new blend of 80% quiviut and 20% silk in light and also dark, natural colors, its limiting...

That blend sounds wonderful!!

I've made a firm decision that I will trade/barter/sell at least half of my fiber stash before I get any more in (not counting what is on order now)

How did I get so out of hand!!!

I just got my first fiber! I don't have anything to spin in with though.
roll.png

I am gonna have hubby make me a drop spindle. If i like it then im gonna look into getting a spinning wheel. I really want to sell yarn so here i go.

MullersLaneFarm if you would be willing to part with some fiber for a newbee id be happy to take some.

Im looking for tips and tricks of the trade.

The fiber i have now is 100% wool from our pastor's flock. They have meat sheep but they were nice enough to give me some roving for free to try out spinning.

Whats the best way to buy fiber? Id like to do it by pound. It seems cheaper that way. I was plaining on buying the critters but with feed i may just buy the fiber and get more chickens.

Whats a quiviut?

Quote:
You bet!!!

I see that you are 'IL side of the QCA '. If QC is the Quad Cities, you're just down the road from me.

I'm a couple miles south of I-88 at exit 40 (Sterling/Rock Falls)

If this is the case, I'll do you one better than just sending you some fiber ... I'll show you how to spindle and spin!

My local knitting store is offering drop spindle classes. Is this the best way to get started with spinning? I've never tried it before, but I would love to know how.

Back
Top Bottom