BYC Spinning Fiber

Quote:
peacock yarn? What is that?! Is 30 dollars a good price for a drop spindle? I really want alpaca fiber!!

MullersLaneFarm in post #49 said she had used some of her peacock feathers in spinning yarn, which I'd love to see if she has pictures.

$30 is a fair price for a nice spindle. Test spin if you can, it should be nicely balanced. Any more expensive than that and you are looking at the really nice/pretty spindles. My most expensive spindle is a Spindlewood square spindle and I paid $47 for it and it has bird's eye maple for the whorl.

How much alpaca do you want? I have a white fleece and a black fleece I might part with. Otherwise a gal in my spinning guild raises alpacas (I bought mine from her) and she has beautiful fleeces. Her website is http://hollyhockalpacas.com/

this spindle is a basic non stained one. It's 20 dollars plus a 5 dollar shipping fee and a 5 dollar fee for not ordering 60 bucks of stuff. Is it worth it?

no, that is not right to charge an extra fee.

Look at this link , it goes to Bountiful which I have ordered from and have been happy with the customer service. They have a bare bones Maple spindle that is very nice of $15. Check them out.

I spin too. Alpaca is the BEST!
If you want alpaca fiber have you considered getting your own alpacas?
I currently have 3 fiber boys for sale. 1 white, 1 black & 1 chocolate brown. I really don't want to sell them because I love them so much, but it would help us out right now to not have 3 more mouths to feed.
I will only sell them as a group since they are friends and have been together for quite awhile now. I am selling them for $750 for the 3.
They don't need much land, and they are easy and a joy to take care of.
I'm seriously not making a sales pitch here. Just showing you that there are nice fiber boys out there that you can get for a pretty good price.
Oh yeah, they get along great with the chickens!

Oh, and Ninny - I have plenty of alpaca (and young llama) fiber to go with your spindle.

Folks around here with alpacas can't seem to give the fiber away (I know I've stopped taking it - I can handle only so much of it!!)

Quote:
YEAH! I really am plaining on coming up. I just don't have a car that will go that far with the snow. So once it quits for real up i come.

lilbirdee If i had the money and fences i would love to take your boys. I really would like to get some someday. But i'm gonna have to wait a couple more years for that.

A friend of mine got into spinning on a big wheel many years ago. She was fascinated with chiengora--dog hair. I have Belgian Tervuren dogs,which look something like a collie shepherd cross. I saved a bunch of their hair and she made me a VERY warm scarf, which I treasure, especially since the main contributor of the hair has passed on. I can post a pic if anyone is interested.
22798_aspen_priscilla_and_beowulf.jpg

Here are my kids, Priscilla is in the middle (can you believe she was dumped at a shelter--I digress!)

22798_emma_with_priscilla_scarf.jpg

Emma modeling the 'Priscilla scarf'

22798_priscilla_scarf.jpg

Close up of the scarf. I didn't want any fringe, so my friend made it fairly plain, with just the subtle hues of the undercoat for decoration.

Incidentally, I had saved bags and bags of hair in hopes of future projects, but my friend sort of fell off the face of the earth:(

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom