BYC Spinning Fiber

Thanks I remember reading that somewhere on this thread. So when I PM her and asked her what is was I was pleased with the answer!! I would have had to do my research on anything else.

On another note, I was discussing with my mom the other day about learning to spin and she is wanting to also, but she would like to weave as well as knit and crochet. So what is a good fiber choice for weaving yarns? I think she has been looking a bit and can't find much. Can't believe that there aren't any weavers here on BYC every other hobby has an over abundance. She had already told me she was going to contact you Cyndi and I told her to do that because you've been so helpful with soaps and everything else. Told her if you didn't do it you could point her in the right direction!!

I bet this Romney I just spun would be good for weaving (see photo), although it has a bit of a halo. It's more coarse than some other things I've now touched!

I'll show you guys what I'm making with it later. I did this on my drop spindle. Here it's in single ply center pull balls. I plyed each ball on itself and am now knitting it on circular needles into a cowl for myself. I'm going to need more of this color, so I'll have to go back to the shop. I'm also putting some lime green that I spun into the cowl. I like the color combo. It's coarse, but I like that. I think I may try to line it with some sort of fabric - perhaps silk to try something new. I don't know yet. We'll see what hits me.

82602_romney.jpg

I'm great at winding center pull balls now. I don't use anything fancy - just an empty paper towl roll. I can't WAIT to get my spinning wheel! Grrr. I'm quick with drop spinning now, though.

I hope you guys don't mind me sharing so many photos and things....I'm so excited! I bought my wheel today!!!
celebrate.gif
This is some more Romney.

82602_purp.jpg

wee.gif

Aw, I hope your kit comes in soon! Have you seen many YouTube videos for drop spinning? I think they really do help.

I've been spinning my butt off. I did 8 ounces of the blue Romney, 8 ounces of an annoying brown Alpaca that was very dirty and got my hands filthy, taught the BF how to spin and I think he's a natural, and am about to start spinning a burnt orangy hand painted superwash (Merino, I think?) to ply with the Alpaca. I just can't stop!

And I have five pounds of natural white Romney/Cormo coming in the mail. Five pounds!
big_smile.png

itsy, is that a Louet bobbin?!? I don't mind spinning unwashed alpaca or llama, its a bit messy but so soft I can't take the time to wash it first;) I do like washing greasy wool lock by lock and spinning it right up without carding (doin that w/shetland). Am hand carding Icelandic wool for bulky sweater yarn- using drop spindles (top and bottom whorls), red llama on the Ashford Scholar (Mark II), Icelandic on the Louet S10, and white/grey shetland with white/grey llama on the Louet S51. Have a drop spindle going for qiviut, too.

Back
Top Bottom