CACKLE HATCHERY

I am very disappointed with Cackle hatchery.
My wife and I bought dominique chicks from them because they were a short drive from our home. Everything was fine and then they started going blind at the age of 4 months. We looked into every possibility. We went to them for advice and were instructed to visit the ag center and they gave us directions to where it was. We followed the directions only to find that there was no ag center there. We then brought two of our chickens to the vets and after a thorough examination he told us that they had cataracts, which we found out was most likely due to excessive inbreading. We went back to Cackles to inform them as I wrongly thought that they might want to know so they could look into this as I was hoping that others wouldn't have to go through this same experience. We were told by them that perhaps our chickens had Mareks disease. I again told the lady that we had just came from the vets and they did not have Mareks. Besides, they were vacinated, the cataracts effected the pupils, not the iris which Mareks does, and that the percentage of our birds that were effected were just too high for vacinated birds. I then told her that she could look at them herself because they were in the truck. She declined. I told her that she might want to pass this on to the owner so this doesn't happen to others in the future. She said nothing, so I took a pad and pen from the counter and wrote down my name and number, and told her that she should give that to the owner so he can call me. No one ever did.
I wanted them to do the right thing because I wanted to believe that they were a good, caring company. I wanted to be able to say to others that this is the hatchery that everyone should be buying their chicks from. I cannot do such a thing now. It's easy to smile and take the customers money, and wave as they head out the door. When the true test of character arrose they failed miserably. Now others may suffer because of their indifference.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/800391/coudy-eyes-can-be-chicken-cataracts#post_11593748

I just received a shipment of thirty chicks from Cackle and am very pleased. They were 15 LF and 15 bantams, which were separated to be shipped. They traveled from Missouri to Louisiana and I only had one chick die later the day they arrived. It was very lethargic all day and passed despite my best efforts. I found that a very good number for such an arduous journey. One bantam silkie has split legs, but again I don't find it such an issue. Sometimes chicks simply hatch that way and I can only imagine the number of chicks they ship out. All the chicks are happy and healthy. All the silkies have the correct number of toes, and the Cochins all have feathered legs, I'll definitely order from Cackle again if need be.

I recieved a catalog from Cackle Hatchery (never ordered one) and was browsing through the pages. They claim they ship pure bred poultry. When I saw the prices I was shocked. For example: "Easter Egg Chicken" 5 pullets for $14.95.
I know prices have went up but good grief is this how much chicks are going for? They also sell Cuckoo Marans 5 pullets for $14.75.
Can anyone tell me if Murray McMurray is about the same price. Plus is Cackle Hatchery chicks pure bred poultry vs Murray and also Ideal?

If anyone can give any input greatly appreciated.

Chiefs Mess

I've ordered from Cackle for years. They've been 100% on sexing and never lost a chick yet. Only drawback is you have to buy 5 of a variety. Meyer you can buy one of a variety. But I've had 30% loss on chicks from Meyer.

I just received a shipment of thirty chicks from Cackle and am very pleased. They were 15 LF and 15 bantams, which were separated to be shipped. They traveled from Missouri to Louisiana and I only had one chick die later the day they arrived. It was very lethargic all day and passed despite my best efforts. I found that a very good number for such an arduous journey. One bantam silkie has split legs, but again I don't find it such an issue. Sometimes chicks simply hatch that way and I can only imagine the number of chicks they ship out. All the chicks are happy and healthy. All the silkies have the correct number of toes, and the Cochins all have feathered legs, I'll definitely order from Cackle again if need be.

I've done a lot of comparison of prices on chicks from several hatcheries.

Cackle is on average of about all them. Some a little cheaper and some a little to a lot higher. When you factor in the shipping they usually turn out cheaper on average.

So e hatcheries say no shipping charges but when you compare tge price per chick you can see that it is figured into the price. And then you have hatcheries that will charge you if you have less than a full box (100) then you are charged extra then a charge for anything under a quarter box and do in down the line. So in essence they're charging you shipping and handling no matter what they call it.

Also have you seen the prices on this forum that folks want for chick sand even for eggs.
Not that I'm downing them for it just telling you what I've observed. There are good folks with good birds here on BYC.

It all boils down to what you want. I have bought a few eggs from folks in here, never chicks. I've also had my hatchery chicks.

Cackle by far is my favorite hatchery, I just wished they had more sexed breeds, I don't like ordering straight run. I'm holding out ordering right now, first because I've lost my job and secknd I'm trying to get things arranged for my Orkneys right now. I'm wanting their Black Australorps and some Polish.

Last edited:
I have worked in a feed store for over 30 years and have sold 100's maybe 1000's of chicks and if its one thing I have found to be true is the price of chicks rises with its popularity. The more popular a chick the higher the price. The 2 breeds you described are very popular this year. Also with the bird diseases last year that wiped out 1000's of birds , it created a shortage. I know here in California entire flocks were wiped out.

ok just telling everyone, dont get any chicks fro bjs poultery farm i have had a terrible experience there, chicks came all differet ages,some a month old , some 1 week old, bloody poop right away, treated them for cocci off an on for weeks,then thy stated falling down, couldnt walk ,died, i kept in touch with him and all i could get from him was, thy were healthy when thy were shipped. i paid to to send 1 to purdue, it came back postive for markes , so all my chickens are still dying, i have 5 left out of 13 and thy will die also.he says thy had their shots ,but couldnt have, i havent had chickens for 20 yrs on my place and thy werent even outside for a long time.this guy dont care, just gets the money and to bad if thy die.it is sad to see them die as thy are beautiful and not even 1 yr old. i believe he got these chickens from someone else and didnt come from his farm. dosent matter thy are all diseased and now i cant have any chickens for at least a yr.

My follow-up order from Meyer I've had many losses again. 6 out of 27 died. I am very saddened and frustrated. I've never had any losses with Cackle or McMurray. I love Meyer's customer service, the variety and that you can order any number of chicks but the losses are ridiculous. I don't know what is going on but I don't think I can handle this many losses again.

I ordered from Cackle last week, I had not read this section before I ordered, but the reason I ordered from them is that I wanted RIR's and their site states " APA: -Yes, Recognized by the American Standard of Perfection" , while none of the the other hatcheries did, I'm not looking for anything of show quality by no means, but I do want the breed I am paying for. The other places seemed to me to have only the production line which are not RIR's even if they do look sort of like one.

I realize this a very old thread. I just wondered what you thought about the personality of the Rhode Island Red chickens you bought from Cackle Hatchery. I bought Australorps from Chickens from Backyards that are way to skittish compared to normal for the breed and won't buy there again. And, I am considering getting one Rhode Island Red IF I can find a non-aggressive strain. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom