Cackle hatchery's Hatchery Surprise- Anybody got this before?

Thanks for the breed guesses, popsicle and kjanda! I might just have to post pictures in the "what is this breed?" section of the site soon. There are so many different chicks, that as soon as I learn what I think one might be, I forget it!

I got the surprise plus15 pullets in March. My goodness can they put the feed away! They free range during the day but always have access to commercial food. I haven't paid close attention, but I bet they eat 50- 80 lbs a week. What is everyone doing for food, especially those with more than one surprise?

I use one of the red and white plastic feeders_ I think they're like 7 pounds or something, I only fill it half way in the morning and the same at night for my surprise which is 42 chicks and 3 ducks. They waste so much if I fill it all the way. So yes, they run out during the day, but are already almost 4 weeks, so my chicks are learning to scratch through their shaving to eat the food that ends up on the floor. I only use 50 pounds every other week this way.

Can Anyone identify this chick?

She came in my surprise, is of decent size (bigger than average in the chicks of the same ship date), if friendly and calm. Her comb is single and her feet are dark (dark brown/black).

Quote: If EE, and has single comb, probably will get brown eggs. If Brown Leghorns have dark legs like that, that's what I'd guess she is. I have EE but not Brown Leghorns so I don't have one to compare for you. She does have a pretty lacing effect so maybe she's a Gold Laced something (Wynadotte?).

CG

Can Anyone identify this chick?

She came in my surprise, is of decent size (bigger than average in the chicks of the same ship date), if friendly and calm. Her comb is single and her feet are dark (dark brown/black).

The coloring is fairly common for Easter Eggers, however I think that's unlikely if she lacks the pea comb and the beard.

Can you get a better shot of the comb? Are her ears white?

My guess would be golden penciled Hamburg or Sicilian Buttercup--incorrect combs wouldn't be unheard of in hatchery birds.

If EE, and has single comb, probably will get brown eggs. If Brown Leghorns have dark legs like that, that's what I'd guess she is. I have EE but not Brown Leghorns so I don't have one to compare for you. She does have a pretty lacing effect so maybe she's a Gold Laced something (Wynadotte?).

CG
my EE hen Missy has a single comb and she lays green eggs :)

Back
Top Bottom