Cackle hatchery's Hatchery Surprise- Anybody got this before?

Nearly 3 days since anybody posted anything to this thread, I can hardly bear it. I just started a thread about $1.35 Ideal Poultry ducks. They also have similarly marked down chickens, too.

Anybody get the Cackle Hatchery's Surprise lately?

the turken we got on Wednesday :)

Last edited:
I joined the forum just to be able to post on this thread! I ordered one of these and it arrived at the beginning of May. Figuring out a few of these breeds has been tough! Does anyone know how often they ship breeds they aren't currently offering for sale?

For example, these first two are bantams.

I received two of these. They were very light red with faint striping and not a single comb, so I assumed wheaten cubalayas. They are developing a ton of white now though.

I have one of these. It was a pure yellow chick without a grayish hue. It had horizontal black stripes on its head and back, no chipmunk striping. I thought maybe mismarked mottled Japanese or something, but I have another Japanese and the stance is completely different. This bird has a single comb and blue legs. Its build and size is very similar to the phoenix bantams I received, although its tail isn't quite as long. The coloring is similar to a lakenvelder, but it is a smaller size.

This is the bird from my avatar. I thought maybe red shouldered yokohama but the leg color is wrong. Definitely no beard, so I don't think EE. It was a peach with silver undertones as a chick.

Any help on these? The others were mostly easy to figure out although I have 4 pea/rose comb birds with green legs that might be EE that have been tricky. I got a pair of Rouen ducklings, 3 bantam phoenix and 1 full sized, a pair of mottled Houdan, 4 golden laced polish, 3 buff brahmas, 10 Cochins in different colors, some full size and some bantam, 4 cuckoo marans, 2 black with single combs - probably australorps, 8 Dominique roosters (boo that they are all boys), 1 probably brown leghorn, 2 columbian rocks and 4 white rocks.

I'm thinking of getting another batch in a month or so!

The one in the 2nd picture is a lakenvelder for sure. I have a pair that came in my surprise assortment last year.

Do they start out as bantam sized chicks? By the adult weight they should be a similar size to my polish, but this bird is much smaller. That's been my best guess by coloring.

Bottom is Easter egger. Not all Easter eggers have beards and muffs.

Huh. It's so different. I have a flock of about 30 other EEs, but the combination of the unusual color and no extra feathering made me think it must be something else. I'd love to add more of that coloring to my EEs!

Thank you both!

Woohoo! Sounds like those two are definitely a Lakenvelder and an EE then. Now I just need to figure out what kind the first one is!

Back
Top Bottom