Cackle hatchery's Hatchery Surprise- Anybody got this before?

Well, they seemed to grow as fast as all the others, but they are a smaller breed. We have one Leghorn hen, and the Spitzhauben hens are a teeny bit taller than her, with a bit more girth. I will post a few more pics of them as chicks, if you want.

Their crests took about a week or so before they turned into tiny nobs on the top of their head. The nobs took a while before they started to feather in. Lemme see if I can find anything else...

By the way, this is the male. The females of gray on the top of their head, while, in my experience, the males of yellow/white.

This is a female. The females, overall, seem darker. They develop some of their feathers on their wings before they develop the crest.

(we actually had some Welsummer chicks that were so nasty, they plucked a growing pin feather, so we had to pluck it out. We had to get rid of the Welsummer's when they got a little older, as no one enjoyed them at all(the other chicks))

Smallfarminwisc, it does indeed!

And the apricot/orange chick in the lower right corner of the mass feathered-legs chicks looks like my (formerly) peewee-winged cutie.

I still haven't IDed a bunch of mine. They're growing like weeds!
pop.gif
As a matter of fact, it's time to go muck out the brooders (again!).

Smallfarminwisc, it does indeed!

And the apricot/orange chick in the lower right corner of the mass feathered-legs chicks looks like my (formerly) peewee-winged cutie.

I still haven't IDed a bunch of mine. They're growing like weeds!
pop.gif
As a matter of fact, it's time to go muck out the brooders (again!).
A lt of my yellow babies are getting splashes of colr on them as their feathers grow out. Maybe that will help me identify them. well at least thats what I am hoping for! the chipmunk ones well
he.gif
I still have no idea. Ill take pictures probably in a week and update the, I am super busy this week. having a pig roast on the farm and then we are going on a trip so I am setting up the brooder to be SUPER easy to take care of. I am worried going away with them so young even though I have someone checking on them. The trip was a surprise just found out about it like 3 weeks ago I ordered the chicks in march otherwise I would of planned this better!

Spazzy the rest I am not sure I am terrible at IDing. Might need better pictures, I cant even tell if you have chubby cheek easter eggers in there. yours look like a lot of different breeds as mine as well..

I think most of the easter egger are roos same with the brahmas so ill be processing them soon. As im not gonna feed males.

I hear you on not feeding males, Poultrybonkers. I just examined some of mine and I suspect most of the EEs are roos, judging by the beginnings of outer rows of peas on their combs.
hit.gif

This weekend I'm going to be moving the littles into their grow-out coop, with an eye to acclimating them to the bigs in another month or so. As I move them, I'll take a decent pic of each one and see if anyone can help ID them. The Polish look like punks, with their little disorderly Mohawks. One black and white chick has a tiny eruption of black feathers on the top of its head. Houdan?

Life is getting away from me right now. I'm partway through the divorce process and right after the last hearing (that my husband blew off), there was an electrical fire in our house in PA that was about to go up for sale. It won't be on the market for months.
he.gif
Delays, delays, delays! I also have started getting my rights back to my books and I'm looking for cover artists so I can get them back up for sale, on my own on Amazon this time. The garden is already late getting underway. Caring for the chickens is keeping me sane.

Back
Top Bottom