Cackle hatchery's Hatchery Surprise- Anybody got this before?

I agree i wont buy from them again either s mine kept dropping like flies they sent a scissor beak along with a double beaked bird that died. Seems there birds are inbred over bred etc. ive ordered from mcmurray lasy year the whole order came dead. But got my money back. Ive ordered from allot of different hatcheries even gotten chicks off ebay with less problems then cackle. No wonders the surprise is cheap...there the sick birds there throwing out.
Ive ordered hatching eggs from mpc few years back out of 12 eggs 6 hatched. I had better luck hatching them over ebay egg which none hatched

That's weird cause all my hatching eggs are from eBay except my Seramas. I hatched 4 out of 12 my first try on the silkies and waiting to see how the new silkies and Seramas turn out in the next few days-so far 29 out of 48 look really good. I only buy from people with a 99% rating or better. Let me know if you are ever interested and I can send you the links on who I ordered from. It's sad that I have better luck never having done incubation and using shipped eggs at that than I have ordering live birds from Cackle Hatchery.

That's weird cause all my hatching eggs are from eBay except my Seramas. I hatched 4 out of 12 my first try on the silkies and waiting to see how the new silkies and Seramas turn out in the next few days-so far 29 out of 48 look really good. I only buy from people with a 99% rating or better. Let me know if you are ever interested and I can send you the links on who I ordered from. It's sad that I have better luck never having done incubation and using shipped eggs at that than I have ordering live birds from Cackle Hatchery.

I ended up buying my serama chicks off ebay. I ended up with 2 roos and 4 hens so cant complain. Lol

These pics look a lot like the one of mine that turned out to be an Appenzeller Spitzhauben. The crest didn't start to pop up until it was 3 weeks old.

Now it looks like this:
We got 1 chick just 2 days ago that looks like this one we named it Jesus. The reason is on the back f his head, however cackle shows this breed as being grey not white with the black markings so which is it? I am still stumped but yours looks just like the one we have

I sort of wanted to say that I am happy with all that I got from the surprise. It took 3 months to get them after I payed for them, however they gave me 53 chicks, I was expecting 40. So I actually ended up with more then what I wanted however 2 were dead on arrival. 1 died yesterday which now brings my total to 50 chicks. The disappointment though was that I expected a huge variety in fowl. Not just chickens. My only non chicken was one duckling. No turkeys, geese or anything else just 1 duck and tons of chickens.

The variety of chickens is what got me. We have about 10 plain white chicks, I am sure these are just a normal either white leg horn, or any old production white. Really didn't want just plain white chickens that I could have bought next door. One Silkie chicken, what good does that do me? 1 chick that means I can't breed it and make more if I want more. What on earth at least send 2 of something.

Polish I have plenty of, holy crap there is about 12 of them and a few of each type. All but one. The best one that I only have one of is the White Crested. Golden laced I have about 4 of. 2 white Polish, and 1 splash. And some that I am still questioning because they have what I call a half pouf going on, on their heads. Not a full ball up there just a half of one.

I got 8 Colombian Wyandottes. 2 brown chicks that I can't figure out for the life of me, and a few silver striped chicks and a few golden striped chicks. Lots of black chicks with white bottoms, Cant wait to find out what those will be. 2 Americana's. and that is just so far.

Yes I will learn about new breeds of chickens, however after reading so much on here about what folks got I was somehow expecting more out of this box then what I actually got. The good thing is that the Polish and the Colombians will help me out by selling their fertile eggs, and I suppose I will be stuck with tons of white eggs to eat.

Would I buy again? Yes I would, however next time I wont be expecting anything major other then tons of chickens.

Last edited:
I agree i wont buy from them again either s mine kept dropping like flies they sent a scissor beak along with a double beaked bird that died. Seems there birds are inbred over bred etc. ive ordered from mcmurray lasy year the whole order came dead. But got my money back. Ive ordered from allot of different hatcheries even gotten chicks off ebay with less problems then cackle. No wonders the surprise is cheap...there the sick birds there throwing out.

OKAY...YOU FOLKS HAD A BAD EXPERIENCE WITH YOUR CHICKS..DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA WHAT THESE LIL THINGS GO THRU IN THE MAIL??? I HAVE NEVER RECEIVED SICK CHICKS FROM ANY HATCHERIES..I HAVE PURCHASED MULTIPLE HATCHERY SURPRISES AND NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEMS...SHIPPING IS VERY, VERY TOUGH ON CHICKS...I LOST 12 CHICKS FROM IDEAL BUT I DID NOT COMPLAIN AS I KNOW ITS FROM SHIPPING STRESS...SO IF YA DO NOT WANT TO DEAL WITH THESE ISSUES BUY LOCAL OR HATCH YOUR OWN EGGS....ITS A GAMBLE JUST. LIKE BUYING HATCHING EGGS..SOMETIMES YOU HAVE A GREAT HATCH AND SOMETIMES YOU GET NOTHING TO HATCH.THINK ABOUT THIS...IF HATCHERIES SOLD SICK CHICKS THEY WOULD BE OUT OF BUSINESS...PERIOD....SORRY TO HEAR THAT YOUR LIL CHICKS ARE SO ILL BUT REALLY I DO NOT THINK IT HAS ANYTHING TO DO WITH THE HATCHERY..I BET THEY HAD A VERY ROUGH TRIP IN THE MAIL....

OKAY...YOU FOLKS HAD A BAD EXPERIENCE WITH YOUR CHICKS..DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA WHAT THESE LIL THINGS GO THRU IN THE MAIL??? I HAVE NEVER RECEIVED SICK CHICKS FROM ANY HATCHERIES..I HAVE PURCHASED MULTIPLE HATCHERY SURPRISES AND NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEMS...SHIPPING IS VERY, VERY TOUGH ON CHICKS...I LOST 12 CHICKS FROM IDEAL BUT I DID NOT COMPLAIN AS I KNOW ITS FROM SHIPPING STRESS...SO IF YA DO NOT WANT TO DEAL WITH THESE ISSUES  BUY LOCAL OR HATCH YOUR OWN EGGS....ITS A GAMBLE JUST.  LIKE BUYING HATCHING EGGS..SOMETIMES YOU HAVE A GREAT HATCH AND SOMETIMES YOU GET NOTHING TO HATCH.THINK ABOUT THIS...IF HATCHERIES SOLD SICK CHICKS THEY WOULD BE OUT OF BUSINESS...PERIOD....SORRY TO HEAR THAT YOUR LIL CHICKS ARE SO ILL BUT REALLY I DO NOT THINK IT HAS ANYTHING TO DO WITH THE HATCHERY..I BET THEY HAD A VERY ROUGH TRIP IN THE MAIL....

Actually it was the hatchery....they sold me one with two beaks that died....a scissorbeaked one........the list goes on....ive ordered from a lot of hatcheries and none were as bad with deformities as this order....only have 5 left from this dump of a hatchery.....will never order from them again! Chicks dying few hours of delivery is one thing....not a week,2 weeks ect and they are still dying something wrong with the birds they are using in this hatchery.....

OKAY...YOU FOLKS HAD A BAD EXPERIENCE WITH YOUR CHICKS..DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA WHAT THESE LIL THINGS GO THRU IN THE MAIL??? I HAVE NEVER RECEIVED SICK CHICKS FROM ANY HATCHERIES..I HAVE PURCHASED MULTIPLE HATCHERY SURPRISES AND NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEMS...SHIPPING IS VERY, VERY TOUGH ON CHICKS...I LOST 12 CHICKS FROM IDEAL BUT I DID NOT COMPLAIN AS I KNOW ITS FROM SHIPPING STRESS...SO IF YA DO NOT WANT TO DEAL WITH THESE ISSUES  BUY LOCAL OR HATCH YOUR OWN EGGS....ITS A GAMBLE JUST.  LIKE BUYING HATCHING EGGS..SOMETIMES YOU HAVE A GREAT HATCH AND SOMETIMES YOU GET NOTHING TO HATCH.THINK ABOUT THIS...IF HATCHERIES SOLD SICK CHICKS THEY WOULD BE OUT OF BUSINESS...PERIOD....SORRY TO HEAR THAT YOUR LIL CHICKS ARE SO ILL BUT REALLY I DO NOT THINK IT HAS ANYTHING TO DO WITH THE HATCHERY..I BET THEY HAD A VERY ROUGH TRIP IN THE MAIL....

Chicks dying a few hour after arriving is one thing...not a week,2 weeks etc and they keep dying....only this hatchery sold me a double beaked chick that died and a scissorbeaked one.....seems the birds they are using are deformed/inbred! Ive ordered from allot of other hatcheries never had such deformed birds! I only have 5 left from this dump of a hatchery....no wonders they are cheap...there the throwaways/sick/deformed ones! I will never buy from this dump again.

Chicks dying a few hour after arriving is one thing...not a week,2 weeks etc and they keep dying....only this hatchery sold me a double beaked chick that died and a scissorbeaked one.....seems the birds they are using are deformed/inbred! Ive ordered from allot of other hatcheries never had such deformed birds! I only have 5 left from this dump of a hatchery....no wonders they are cheap...there the throwaways/sick/deformed ones! I will never buy from this dump again.

OKAY....THAT'S WHAT I WOULD DO MYSELF..NEVER ORDER FROM THEM AGAIN.I AM JUST SAYING THAT THEY WOULD NOT BE IN BUSINESS IF THEY SOLD SICK CHICKS. I HAVE PURCHASED 100'S OF CHICKS FROM CACKLE AND HAVE NEVER HAD ANY ISSUES. I HAVE ALWAYS ORDERED THE SURPRISE BOX'S....SO YOU SAID WHAT YOU NEEDED TO SAY OVER AND OVER IN THIS POST MANY TIMES AND NOW IT'S TIME TO MOVE ON AND GET OVER IT.....LIFE IS SHORT...HAVE A GREAT DAY!!

Back
Top Bottom