Cackle hatchery's Hatchery Surprise- Anybody got this before?

X2 your yellow top hat could be a splash I see some dark spots on her, your 2 black and white are astrolopes ( spelling), the astra whites are right. With mine I got 1 Dom. And 4 barred rock. Oh I'm also getting closer to knowing how many roos it looks like only a possible 5 out of 46.
I sold many from my first surprise, but of what I have left, most of the "normal" birds seemed to be hens. The bantams were mixed. I ended up with a pair of Egyptian Faomi's, and it looks like a male black silkie and 2 females. I sold all of my 2nd surprise, and my 3rd surprise is too early to tell.

But it almost looks like they don't give you roosters from the ones that they sell sexed.

X2 your yellow top hat could be a splash I see some dark spots on her, your 2 black and white are astrolopes ( spelling), the astra whites are right. With mine I got 1 Dom. And 4 barred rock. Oh I'm also getting closer to knowing how many roos it looks like only a possible 5 out of 46.

5 roos out of 46! That's pretty darn good! I'm hoping that's what I get--but with my luck it'll probably be 50 roos haha. Thanks for helping me identify the chicks! (In the end I guess it doesn't really matter what I got, but I'm so curious and want to know). I'm pretty happy with the selection I received, a good mix, the only ones I hoped for that I didn't get were Silkies and Turkens. (However, I'm glad I didn't get any meat birds, or at least I don't think I got any meat birds).

The black ones with the yellow dots are either Dominiques or Barred Rocks. The white ones with gray on their backs are either Light Brahmas or Columbian Wyanaddotes.
The chipmunks could be Brown Leghorns.

The white with the spot may be Austra Whites.

Awesome! Seems like a good overall mix! Thank you again for all the help you've given to me (and everyone) on this thread! Do you live on a farm? How do you contain (or are going to contain) all of them when they get big?

I sold many from my first surprise, but of what I have left, most of the "normal" birds seemed to be hens. The bantams were mixed. I ended up with a pair of Egyptian Faomi's, and it looks like a male black silkie and 2 females. I sold all of my 2nd surprise, and my 3rd surprise is too early to tell.

But it almost looks like they don't give you roosters from the ones that they sell sexed.

So jelly about your Egyptian Fayomis and Silkies!

I got paired spitzhaubens. I don't really live on a farm but I do have a bit of acreage and my nearest neighbour I'd 1/4 mile away ( related) the next neighbour is 6 miles after that. I fenced off around 1/4 an acre for a yard and repurposed and old 24 foot travel trailer for the coop. I have coyotes out here and 2 big lab x newfanlands as protecters.
I know labs and chickens....
But it works.

I got paired spitzhaubens. I don't really live on a farm but I do have a bit of acreage and my nearest neighbour I'd 1/4 mile away ( related) the next neighbour is 6 miles after that. I fenced off around 1/4 an acre for a yard and repurposed and old 24 foot travel trailer for the coop. I have coyotes out here and 2 big lab x newfanlands as protecters.
I know labs and chickens....
But it works.

My lab gets along great with my birds, sometimes he feels the need to run through them when they're all in a group waiting for treats, but if I give him a bone and he is chewing it in the yard they'll come peck it with him.

Hi! This is a follow up to my post from 7/9 chick arrival (shipped 7/7). I've taken pictures of all of them (sorted by common characteristics) and I was hoping you guys could help me identify them! I got a total of 55 chicks! Thank you in advance for your help.

QZzWMfj.jpg

I think these are Silver Laced Polish. I got 13 of them!

0auOXrz.jpg

I think these are White Crested Black Polish, I got 6 of them.

IKbGwsF.jpg

I only got one of these yellow top hats.

Dv9EXZQ.jpg

I received an assortment of 13 furry legged chicks, I think they're Cochins.

7Dpg6a3.jpg

I have no idea what these are, got 3 of them, they are mostly yellow, but they all have a black spot on their back. Look like Austra White to me.

hRl4ZAH.jpg

I have no idea what these are either, but they're light colored tan on the sides with a brown back/head. They also do not have a beard/furry legs/hat. Got 3 of them.

y6x0geB.jpg

Got three of these that are mostly black, but have a bit of yellow on their heads/tummies. I agree with the Barred Rock guess.

QfgFpVl.jpg

Got three of these chipmunk looking ones, not sure what they are. They look a lot like Golden Laced Wyandottes but you know how it is with chipmunks.

DCgYRkZ.jpg

Got two of these that are yellow and black, with what looks like black on their beaks and black eyeliner. They have clean legs, but the legs do have some black coloring on the skin. Not sure what they are either. Look like Black Australorp to me.

1PZDsoq.jpg

I think these three are Easter Eggers, they have beards. I agree.

zCT7EPK.jpg

These two are just yellow. All yellow chicks are hard, too, but maybe White Rocks?

5XgS1JI.jpg

These two have some yellow with gray shading on them. These are the spitting image of the Columbian Wyandotte chicks we got from them, unless they have single straight combs, then I'd say Columbian Rock. Can't tell the combs from this picture.

0rDATEZ.jpg

This is my last one, he's a bit of a dirty gray/yellow color, but he has a beard. So possibly an EE also? Super cute! They don't have much that is clean legged and bearded, so I think EE is a good guess. I'd be interested to see how this one grows out.

Any help identifying them would be greatly appreciated! I don't believe any of them are bantams (but if you think there might be some, please let me know also). Thank you again all so much for all your time, help, counseling, etc haha while I've been on this Cackle Surprise adventure.
I filled in some of the ones others didn't already suggest IDs for. Lucky you with all those Polish! Looks like you got several of my favorite dual purpose breeds, too.

Last edited:
I filled in some of the ones others didn't already suggest IDs for. Lucky you with all those Polish! Looks like you got several of my favorite dual purpose breeds, too.
Thank you for taking the time to help me identify my mystery bunch! 19 Polish, but 13 of them are Silver Laced! I don't know what I'm going to do with so many--my entire surprise is filled with almost all black/white chickens! (I'm going to need to buy matching decor).

Which dual purpose breeds are your favorites? (Although I will only be using them for eggs).

Thank you for taking the time to help me identify my mystery bunch! 19 Polish, but 13 of them are Silver Laced! I don't know what I'm going to do with so many--my entire surprise is filled with almost all black/white chickens! (I'm going to need to buy matching decor).

Which dual purpose breeds are your favorites? (Although I will only be using them for eggs).
The Black Australorps- love them, and think they are gorgeous adults. The Rocks and Wyandottes are great dual purpose birds too, and all the Rock cockerels I got from Cackle to grow out for meat are growing like weeds.

I have been reading this for a month now and it seems really cool I ordered my first surprise a few weeks ago and gets shipped tomorrow I am so excited!

Back
Top Bottom