california - CENTRAL COAST

Hello Central Coasters!
New chicken owner, already obsessed in Aptos, small town just south of Santa Cruz. I am the proud owner of

1 Rhode Island- Harper
1 Bard Rock- Posey (after Buster Posey, one of our favorite baseball players)
2 Buffs- Loli and Rosie
1 Denmark- Obie (named by my son who will never grow out of his StarWars phase)

I am realizing that in my effort to research how to best care for my new family members, I have come close to overwhelming myself.
Most of the forums I have searched in regards to what the best options are for my run (sand, pine shavings, etc) are posted/answered by those who live in areas with much more extreme weather. I would be interested in know what you use!

Kirsten

Hey there I'm on Central coast. I use sand in my run. I have it half covered so it doesn't get too hot. Summers can get up to 105 or so. I also just pine shavings as the nest box material. I have 4 salmon faverolles and right now 6 10 week old buff orpingtons but 3 are rehoming due to law and ordiences. I can only have max 8 chickens. :(

Hey! I'm over in Templeton! We got our first batch of chicks about 6 weeks ago! Started out with 10, lost one on the first day. Bought 11 more shortly after. So 21 total! Lol! One is definitely a rooster though. My kids are 7, 4, and 1 1/2! Glad to find another local on here. :)

Wow! That's quite the flock!
I am thinking one of mine is a rooster, and I am not sure of the sex of Turkey, so that may end up being Thanksgiving Dinner ;)

Back
Top Bottom