California Hatchery

The only thing that interested me in their breeds offered for sale were the Austra Whites. But after I saw the tripled prices I absolutely crossed California Hatchery off my list. For example, Black Copper Marans $29.99, which I'm sure is cheap for show quality birds, but not what I'd expect to pay for my future backyard flock.

I love the "About Us" section of the website - "We love to talk! We're not afraid to talk to you." But as BrewMonkey pointed out there's nothing that indicates who they are. Even with online shopping, I like to put a name and face with a service provider - especially one that is selling living creatures. Show me some photos of your operation and how you handle your chicks and I might be willing to pay a little more.

I do have a number for them if anyone is interested. I bought into the free shipping for 15 chick minimum order. And the fact that they are local. Am nervous about it though-- my first order arrive July 11 or 12 so will post how it goes.....

Please do follow up and if you can post there Number here. Thanks

Order arrived yesterday in great condition! 15 healthy little chicks-- hatched 5am 7/10(its on the shipping box) and PO called me 7am on 7/11-- 26 hrs from egg to brooder not bad!
I think it makes a difference that 1) its an actual Hatchery (My Pet Chicken remember is a broker/ ordering hub they dont hatch anything) that is 2) local - to me-- about 60 or 80 miles away but they only ship out (or I would have gone to them and picked up)...
I think one reason they aren't great about customer service is because they ran into trouble with some Animal Rights group(PETA?) that doesnt believe in mass producing anything -- I think that to be a Hatchery by definition you will be mass-- producing-- or we wouldnt be able to order chicks! Its probably one reason they dont answer their phone-- I think they answered one time -- Responses are prompt via email just be specific with your query-- they are great emailing and fixed my order twice once when I ordered 1 chick, then ordered 15 roosters EEEK by mistake--I wanted 15 pullets!-- and refunded me the difference fine-- the shipping on 1 chick was more than for 15 pullets(free shipping for 15chicks)
Hopefully everything goes to plan, I wont have to order "mass produced" chicks and will be getting my own chicks the old fashioned way next year....
Here's their phone number--530-413-8257, I think I got it off of one of their service emails to me!

--I wanted 15 pullets!-- ... Hopefully everything goes to plan, I wont have to order "mass produced" chicks and will be getting my own chicks the old fashioned way next year...
I'm a bit curious how your plan is going to accomplish that.
tongue.png

I'm a bit curious how your plan is going to accomplish that.
tongue.png
Having the hens hatch their own chicks! Of Course! I only "ordered" b/c I was having trouble finding a local source of chicks/ pullets for the time I had vacation time off of work to start them off... Also now that I am more up on chicken contacts I found local sources for this breed, and tons of others off Craigslist as well...Hoping with 19 birds I will get one broody hen and some chicks.... But its for fun they are pets so I am not stressed.

But isn't California Hatchery the ONLY place online where you can purchase as little as 3 sexed chicks AND pick out which breed you want (all different) for all three chicks? Everywhere else I've found that has low minimums only lets you order 3 or 4 chicks of the same breed. Am I wrong? I guess that's what the high price is all about
hmm.png

But isn't California Hatchery the ONLY place online where you can purchase as little as 3 sexed chicks AND pick out which breed you want (all different) for all three chicks? Everywhere else I've found that has low minimums only lets you order 3 or 4 chicks of the same breed. Am I wrong? I guess that's what the high price is all about
hmm.png

They are a bit expensive. The 3 mixed chick thing is certainly convenient but I worry about the safety of 3 chicks shipping, I think there is more safety in numbers (love your Ename GWCB!)....

Just placed an order with them (worth the extra $ to get just the birds i want) not very happy. Before i ordered i emailed them ti find out the ship date, was told April 4th, so i placed an order. After spending $100 on 5 birds I get an email that they won't be shipping until the end of July. I am to busy with the farm in the summer to devote the time baby chicks need. I tried calling the # listed in an above post and just got a recording which said to email them :(

Back
Top Bottom