California Hatchery

I know this is an older post but I wanted to add my experience with californiahatchery.com. I ordered my duck, Soleil from them. While I know I could have gotten a cheaper duckling at the feed store or the Denver Chicken Swap, they are rarely sexed and I wanted a pair of pekin hens. A pair! So I ordered two pekin ducklings from californiahatchery.com. I wish I had ordered from Metzers! My ducklings were supposed to arrive on a Tuesday or Wednesday. When they didn't arrive, I called them. No answer. I emailed them and they said they hadn't even shipped yet. Friday my ducklings arrived at the PO and to my dismay when I picked them up, only one survived. I took photos and had the post office write off on it that one had perished on route. When I notified the hatchery, they gave me no options. They just simply refunded the cost of the duckling. I was devastated about the duckling but that they wouldn't replace her bothered me. I know other hatcheries offer replacements but californiahatchery.com offered no options. Atleast I was refunded for the lost one.

The plus side is Soleil is a beautiful, sweet and smart girl who brings smiles to everyone who meets her! In that aspect it was money well spent! I just won't order from them again!

Update to my dealings with California Hatchery. My 5 chicks (ordered and paid for 12/22/12) were scheduled to hatch 4/23 and arrive to me 4/24 or 4/25. I have been in constant contact with my post office for when the chicks would arrive. After no confirmation email from the hatchery that my chicks were on there way I decided to email them to confirm they hatched and shipped (this was on the 24th). I was told they hatched and shipped on the 23rd. Today is the 26th and still no chicks, after 3 panic emails from me (thinking these babies were lost and dying) they finally emailed back. I am now told they didn't ship on the 23rd as previously told as there was a shortage with 1 of my ordered breeds so nothing shipped to me. They also didn't give me a new ship/arrival date other than "as soon as possible". NOW I have to sit home all day til who knows when wondering if the po will call that chickens are here.
NEVER ORDER FROM CALIFORNIA HATCHERY!!

Last edited:
What a mess this place is, I was going to place a order last year, but once I could not speak to anyone in person I changed my mind and went with Hoover and they were great.

Oh jeez, reading this got me all anxious. I ordered three chicks from them back in February and they told me they'd hatch and ship June 11th. The date is getting closer and closer, but reading all these posts has me worried they won't ship for another five months. Fingers crossed things go okay.

If they delay your shipment try chickensforbackyards.com I canceled my order from California Hatchery after they gave my a new ship date of July (which was 7 months after I placed my order). Chickens for backyards shipped my babies 2 weeks after my order and they are all healthy and thriving so far. They were also very nice and easy to get ahold of by phone. Hope yours doesn't get messed up,

We ordered 5 chicks in October of last year. One did not make it our Easter egger and other 4 fine. However a few days ago we had one suddenly die. She was only 8 months old. She was 3-4 times the other chickens size. We wondered if she was GMO. We believe she may have died of heart failure. It was very sudden. Now they are being sued for neglecting chicks in the hatchery! Never buy from them again! Our baby Sunshine did not have to go so soon

We ordered 5 chicks in October of last year. One did not make it our Easter egger and other 4 fine. However a few days ago we had one suddenly die. She was only 8 months old. She was 3-4 times the other chickens size. We wondered if she was GMO. We believe she may have died of heart failure. It was very sudden. Now they are being sued for neglecting chicks in the hatchery! Never buy from them again! Our baby Sunshine did not have to go so soon

I am so sorry for your loss. Thankyou for sharing, I am so glad I cancelled my order and went with another hatchery. My new babies have only been around 2 .5 weeks and I couldn't imagine losing them in 8 months

Your welcome. Found out my chicken that died was specifically used for raising and then slaughtering before they get too big due to health issues because of fast growth rate! Glad you went with another hatchery and they are doing well

Back
Top Bottom