California-Southern

Anyone have experience with sexlink's?

My friend had 3 Red sexlinks. They are prolific layers that exhaust themselves by/before age 2. My friend had one die early, one got eggbound and then died, and a 3rd stopped laying early and eventually died while all the heritage breeds were doing fine. The Sexlinks can either be sweet or aggressive as any breed can exhibit these traits but the Reds seem the most aggressive. The lowly White Leghorn is the most prolific layer IMO of LG/XL eggs but about 45% get reproductive/ovarian issues before age 4 -- however if they live past that critical 4th year will continue producting well into their 5th to 8th year laying 20% less eggs each year of their life as is normal with any laying breed. IMO any breed that lays more than 180 eggs/year is going to have reproductive issues. That's why I don't mind it if my good layers take a prolonged time off before resuming laying again so I don't use artificial light or stimulants for laying other than good diet, vitamins, and routine health maintenance for worms/lice/mites. If you're curious, try one Sexlink. If I'm curious about a breed I get one as an experiment to see if I like the traits. I've found I prefer gentle non-combative breeds in the 5-lb-and-under range to have a peaceful backyard flock. Some of the breeds produce only 100 eggs/year and my best lays about 180 eggs/year with no artificial prolonged winter lighting or laying stimulants. I'm fine with that since we've made pets out of all of them
smile.png
and we don't run an egg farm or use them for dinner! Everyone has to decide what's best for them.

Good morning! Got my first 3 in flock! I'm excited and the new larger run is coming along. I was doing some digging into the best egg laying chikies and I'm told black selling and California (white or grey) are power house layers. Any thoughts? I currently havr silver laced Wynadette and am wanting to get some Rhode island reds.
pictures please :ya

that is a nice coop. i like the chickens too. what kind of wire did u use and where did u get it. we need to meet sometime.

Good Morning! what stores besides trader joes and whole foods sell fertile eggs in OC? just curious.

Sprouts sells fertile eggs too. And in a couple of weeks, I should also have some viable fertile eggs as well! Yippee. :) My Salmon Faverolles cockerel just started mating, and has mounted several of my pullets (ages 4.5-5.5 months). I've witnessed him mounting one of my four 10 month old hens too, but overall, he's still pretty scared of my bossier-than-him hens at the moment. Lol.

Sprouts sells fertile eggs too. And in a couple of weeks, I should also have some viable fertile eggs as well! Yippee.
smile.png
My Salmon Faverolles cockerel just started mating, and has mounted several of my pullets (ages 4.5-5.5 months). I've witnessed him mounting one of my four 10 month old hens too, but overall, he's still pretty scared of my bossier-than-him hens at the moment. Lol.
Lol Thanks! I was thinking about only incubating store bought eggs. Well except for trader joes and whole foods....

Sprouts sells fertile eggs too. And in a couple of weeks, I should also have some viable fertile eggs as well! Yippee.
smile.png
My Salmon Faverolles cockerel just started mating, and has mounted several of my pullets (ages 4.5-5.5 months). I've witnessed him mounting one of my four 10 month old hens too, but overall, he's still pretty scared of my bossier-than-him hens at the moment. Lol.
put me down for 5 days worth of eggs in early april please

I will take as many sal fav eggs you can collect

that is a nice coop. i like the chickens too. what kind of wire did u use and where did u get it. we need to meet sometime.
dont recall the gauge of wire. Its not chicken wire. the squares are tight which doesn't allow predators to get their mouth in to chew. Its nice and heavy. got it @ Lowe's.

put me down for 5 days worth of eggs in early april please

I will take as many sal fav eggs you can collect 

I can and will oblige as much as I can..... However, just to be clear, I'm not a breeder. Don't know if you want random eggs. (I've read your chicken, farm and family adventure thread on/off.) I just have a backyard menagerie/ collection of 7 heritage and/or rare birds, 2 EEs, and just the one SF roo. I do have a SF pullet and she's the youngest of my flock. I'm hoping she'll start laying by the end of March. If you still want them, let me know what days you want me to save and I'll do it when the time comes.

Back
Top Bottom