California-Southern

If you don't hear from anyone I have Ameraucana mixes (basically LF EE's). I also have Cream Legbars if you are looking for other blue egg layers.

You may have better luck in the spring once everyone's flocks get past molting season and the short days.
where are you located? EEs would also be great!

Hi everyone, I'm new to BYC, from Northridge... Anyone else from San Fernando valley area or LA?
welcome-byc.gif
yippiechickie.gif
from San Diego... Got family around Berdu.

What Kind of Chickens do you have?

deb

Hi, I have four baby chicks five days old,,,,
Buff Orpington
Araucana
Cuckoo Maran
Light Brahma

Is your Araucana actually an Araucana or is it an Easter Egger? Either one will give you colored eggs but hatcheries or feed stores will sell EEs labeled as Ameraucana or Araucana - all 3 are different chickens but give blue-green eggs. In the case of EEs you can sometimes get pink or even white eggs. Someone on the Cream Legbar page said their supposedly blue egg layer gave a white egg yet she is a pure-bred CL so it happens sometimes these blue egg layers can surprise you. Keep us informed on your developments.
smile.png

Is your Araucana actually an Araucana or is it an Easter Egger?  Either one will give you colored eggs but hatcheries or feed stores will sell EEs labeled as Ameraucana or Araucana - all 3 are different chickens but give blue-green eggs.  In the case of EEs you can sometimes get pink or even white eggs.  Someone on the Cream Legbar page said their supposedly blue egg layer gave a white egg yet she is a pure-bred CL so it happens sometimes these blue egg layers can surprise you.  Keep us informed on your developments.:)

Hi
1f60a.png
I was told the chick was garenteed to be an araucana, I hope she does lay blue eggs and not white... That was the main reason I bought her. Oh well we'll see I suppose... They are only five days old. At the moment I'm stressing about getting a bigger brooder built and starting on the coop. There's so much to do
1f631.png

Hi, I have four baby chicks five days old,,,,
Buff Orpington
Araucana
Cuckoo Maran
Light Brahma

Love it... to be certain an Araucana will oftentimes have no tail feathers... dont be upset if she doesnt grow them.

There are three breeds that get confused:

Araucana - South American often times tail less... lays blue eggs

Amaraucana - Will have a muff under their chin and will have a tail.... lays blue eggs

Ameracana - often Called Easter Egger or EE.... Can be of any color and has a tail. They may lay Blue, White, Green, or even pink eggs.

Araucana breed was the base for the other two. Way down the lineage line. they were cross bred with other chickens to produce a better layer... Araucanas arent very prolific.

Just one little tid bit of usless info that I have read.... LOL..

deb

Hello! :)
I'm in the San Gabriel Valley area!

Oh! San Diego-an's, have any of you ordered from Secret Hills Ranch before?!

My shipment of four came yesterday and sadly one passed, but they were packaged well with Gro-Gel, shavings, and a heatpad!

Sadly one of my coveted French Lavender Marans didn't make it
hit.gif

But considering that the recommended amount is 7-12 chicks and I only ordered four, I'm deeming it successful!

I have a Jill Rees line Cream Legbar, Splash Isbar, and French Lavender Marans that made it!
They are so gorgeous and since I purchased a hatchery Cream Legbar before.. I can definitely see the difference from a well bred one.

My only complaint is that they do not do refunds for orders under 12.. so I have to risk it again and am ordering
a Curtis Hale line Cream Legbar, another Splash Isbar, and a Blue Copper Marans since she won't have anymore French Lavender Marans
for another three weeks..

I hope they all make it this time!

If you have purchased birds from them, do you have adult pictures? Within the San Diego community, they are one of the reputable breeders right?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom