California-Southern

Happy New Year, everyone!

I posted some pics of my Neiderrheiner pair over in the appropriate thread. If anyone is interested in acquiring them, go have a look at my post and send me a PM. They are very, very sweet birds and I am sad to let them go! I am in So Cal and will not ship them. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1047672/niederrheiner-thread-all-colors/56
They are beautiful~ are they still available? How old are they? Where did you get them from? What's their temperament? How productive is the hen? Where do you live?

Unrelated... Is anyone else feeling insanely guilty putting young ones outside in these temps???.

Quote: As long as they have feathers a windbreak and overhead shelter meaning dry place to roost no guilt here. Its been in the forties down here by the coast at night. Up at my house in the desert I am sure its been in the thirties. My coops have always been open air. Coop/run combos Tarps for roofs and when it gets windy tarps get added for wind breaks.

even my silkeys did well.

As long as they have feathers a windbreak and overhead shelter meaning dry place to roost no guilt here.    Its been in the forties down here by the coast at night.  Up at my house in the desert I am sure its been in the thirties.  My coops have always been open air.  Coop/run combos  Tarps for roofs and when it gets windy tarps get added for wind breaks.

even my silkeys did well.
Thank you, they do! Our youngest, while fully feathered (just 10 weeks now), is small for an Orpington and at the bottom of the pecking order. I pulled her out the previous two nights to sleep in the garage with the babies... She turned into such a mean girl, letting out all her pent up, pecked on aggression on them, I put her out in the coop last night. It got down to 36 here. I'm on my way out in a few to open things up and see how they did.

Would you, Perchiegirl, and anyone else with an open air coop, mind posting some pictures? We will be building out the back part of an old horse stall (that has been enclosed to make a playhouse for our girls) to make room for our Greenfire birds coming in February. I have decided the open air coop will be the best for many reasons. I just need a lot of examples to show my husband who is a general contractor (lucky me!). Where are you, Perchiegirl? We are in Thousand Oaks!
1f60a.png

@gotro17

They are available!

They hatched on September 24th from Brinkhaven eggs, so they are just three months old.

They are not old enough to lay/crow yet, but I would imagine the girl will be laying by end of January or February - they lay a large, cream colored egg.

They are incredibly sweet and friendly. They will come right up to you to see what you are doing, they will let you pick them up without issue, they are calm/docile and do not pick on anyone else in the flock. I do have to be a little careful when in the run so I don't step on the girl's feet as she is always following me/right next to me.

I am asking $120 for the pair, or best offer, or barter or ??

Back
Top Bottom